Excel External Data Query Cannot Find Specific Db Error For Db It is no longer linked to??

L

Legacy 202776

This I guess is an Excel and Access question.
I have an Excel spreadsheet with multiple external data queries linked to a table in MDB A.
I plan on using the same Excel file and queries to now link to data in MDB B and remove MDB A

For each query I entered the query editor, (right click, select edit query, select SQL) and changed the SQL to point to and refresh from the new MBD B.
The queries all now update from the table in MDB B when refreshing data and when clicking refresh all.

I then deleted MDB A as it is no longer needed and all queries are all mapped to MDB or so I thought...

Now that MDB A has been deleted all the queries in the Excel file fail when refreshing with the error "Cannot find file..." showing the path to MDB A.

I have confirmed I did remap ALL queries in the Excel file to the new MDB B yet there is still something hidden withion Excel that wants to connect to the old database for every single query???

How can I find and remove this?
The only option I see is once the error pops up and I click 'OK' it allows me to select the file path of the new database MDB B again.
The problem with that is I would have to do go through that for every single query and I have over 100 which I prefer not to go through all over again and may need to do something similar in the future.

Does anyone know:
1) Why it is doing this even after I changed the SQL for each query to the new MDB?
2) Why if the MDB A exists, the file will correctly pull in all queries from MDB B but fail when I delete or rename MDB A even though it is not used in any query in the Excel file?
3) How can I correct this quickly / easily?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Just a quick thought.
Instead of changing queries, Rename MDB B to MDB A

Upvote 0
Thanks, can't as MDB A , (not the real name of course) is dedicated for another earlier project.

I'm just confused where Excel is hiding this link information as there is no VBA involved and all the queries point to the correct MDB B. Why the heck would it still ask for MDB A and where is it storing the information?
Hoping for an easy find/replace option somehow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back