Excel Files Open Twice

Bagsy Baker

I have a number of excel files I use constantly at work. Some are opened by themselves and some are part of workspaces. I seem to be getting a repeative error that tries to open the file twice. I'll usually get on of the two following errors.

1.) "A document with the name 'EditDataFiles.xls' is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if they are in different folders. To open a second document, either close the document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."

or

2.) "Matching Grilles.xls is already open. Reopening will cause any changes you make to be discarded. Do you wannt to reopen Matching Grilles.xls?"

Normally this is not a problem, but I do have a few files that open, do a task, save to another file, and close without operator intervention. What ends up happening is the information is transfered twice to the save file. Since this file is used quaterly to forecast future demand, duplicate data causes all the information to be useless. The files are run on a Windows 98, Second Edition with Excel 97. The files are local and not accessable through the network.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
you've got code attached?
is this happening to all files?
files only in a certain location?

Upvote 0
Can someone expand on this issue.

I am using Excel97 and have a file Command Center that gets the same error as described above.

The start-run advice did not work.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LGVBPP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back