Excel for Mac will not open (pop-up "to open this type of file, Excel needs to convert it using an online service""

tommulloy

MS Excel user for years, but decided to go to a Mac last year. I've been using Mac's free spreadsheet app (Numbers). While it works, I miss the Excel's advanced features and ease of use, so I purchased Office 2016 Home & Student for Mac last week. Excel worked last night, but when I tried opening it this morning (just the program, no file) this pop-up appeared: "To open this type of file, Excel needs to convert it using an online service." Two choices, "don't allow" and "allow" Clicking don't allow does nothing, other than opening the exact same window. Clicking "allow" opens a window that tries to convert the file, resulting in a "can't open file" window ("something went wrong and your file cannot be opened. Please try again.)". Clicking okay starts the conversion again, with the same result. If I "x" out while the conversion is running Excel opens a file containing gibberish. The gibberish file won't close, so I have to click on the "apple" in top, left corner of the screen, then "force quit".

Sorry for the lengthy post and if I posted it in the wrong place. A search on Mr.Excel.com "Excel for Mac" didn't return anything helpful. In lieu of calling Microsoft, I thought I'd try this forum to see if anyone can provide a quick solution.

Thanks. Tom

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
UPDATE: Called Microsoft and learned that Excel was corrupted (Word worked okay). Tech uninstalled and successfully reinstalled Office for Mac.
Disappointed that Apple Numbers worked flawlessly for 8 months, yet Excel blew up in less than a week. Oh well, I'm just happy that Excel is up and running. tm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back