Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning

I am having a small issue with the following formula

Code:
=SUMIFS('DVP Settlement Report'!P:P,'DVP Settlement Report'!E:E,"Sell",'DVP Settlement Report'!V:V,FALSE,'DVP Settlement Report'!R:R,C7)

This formula returns a zero value (as it does not recognise the FALSE value) (I have tried it with and without brackets)

now if I try the formula (and manually changing the FALSE to unsettled as an example)

Code:
=SUMIFS('DVP Settlement Report'!P:P,'DVP Settlement Report'!E:E,"Sell",'DVP Settlement Report'!V:V,"unsettled",'DVP Settlement Report'!R:R,C7)

this returns the desired result

This is not ideal as I have a large reference pool with TRUE/FALSE values in column V

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Are the entries in column V text strings that contain the words "TRUE" and "FALSE" or are they Excel logical True / False values.
If they are text strings, then Excel does not usually recognise that text TRUE is the same as logical TRUE.
To test this, try =istext(V1) on a value in column V.
If you get TRUE, then col V is a text string.
In which case use "FALSE" in your original formula, instead of FALSE

Upvote 0
This formula returns a zero value (as it does not recognise the FALSE value) (I have tried it with and without brackets)
Brackets, or double quotes? You could be falling into the FALSE or "FALSE" trap.

Upvote 0
Hi Gerald - thanks for responding - they are in fact Excel logic TRUE/FALSE. which must be the problem

Upvote 0
If they really are Excel logical True / False values, then your original formula should work.

I tested it on a simplified set of data, and SUMIFS is capable of dealing with logical FALSE values correctly.

a1FALSE
b2FALSE
a3FALSE
b4FALSE
a5FALSE
b6
a7
b8
a9
b10

<tbody>
</tbody>

Using this formula
=SUMIFS(B1:B10,A1:A10,"a",C1:C10,FALSE)
Where the values in C1:C3 are logical FALSE, and the values in C4:C5 are text FALSE
Returns the result 4, as expected.

And playing around with the source data results in changes to the SUMIFS result entirely as expected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfhw720

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back