Excel Global Macro for confirmation to run any other macro

purplefox

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help to find out if this is even possible.

Is there a way to have a global macro (one in personal book?) which when any other macro is triggered asks for confirmation that the user actually wants the macro to run? if then no selected the macro that had been activated is then exited?

Basically on a 3rd party finance tool there are two buttons, one is a retrieve data (Refresh), and the other is a submit data, they are right next to each other and it can happen that submit is clicked by accident rather than refresh. If you accidentally click submit there is no confirmation that you meant to click that button, it just runs, so it would be really useful for a safety macro to identify that a macro has been triggered and step in first to check that you didn;t make a mistake.

I suspect it isn't actually possible but look forward to hearing any suggestions..

thanks

Andy

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Do you have access to the code?

Upvote 0
Can you delete the existing buttons & replace them with your ow, or alternatively point the buttons at a different code?

Upvote 0
Can you delete the existing buttons & replace them with your ow, or alternatively point the buttons at a different code?
Not to my knowledge, it's a "suite" that is installed, if it's possible I certainly don't have the required skills. That's why I'm looking to see if a general prompt can be built in that appears if any macro starts :confused:

Upvote 0
I'm looking to see if a general prompt can be built in that appears if any macro starts
Not that I know of. As soon as a macro starts, it will run to completion & I don't think it's possible to interrupt it in order to run a different code.

Upvote 0
Not that I know of. As soon as a macro starts, it will run to completion & I don't think it's possible to interrupt it in order to run a different code.
yeah, that's what I expected. The program is made by Oracle (Smartview), but it just seems a really silly design, especially as if you click the wrong button you don't get a warning prompt.

Upvote 0
I guess another method could be if there is a way to identify what a button and Macro are called from a locked project as to maybe be able to write code that disables it at start up, I guess that goes back to your previous suggestion about repointing the code.

Upvote 0
What is/isn't possible really depends on what type of buttons they are & to what extent the workbook is locked.

Upvote 0
What is/isn't possible really depends on what type of buttons they are & to what extent the workbook is locked.
Do you know of a way to get excel to tell me or log what things are called, i.e. if I press the refresh button, for it to log or display what the button is called, what macro is being called?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back