Excel Merge

AMDOBOS

I'm merging Excel records into a Word document including Salutation, First Name, Last Name. Because not all records contain a salutation I'm typing a space after Mr. or Ms. but it won't transfer once merged into the .doc file. Please help, or recommend a better way to allow for those records without Mr. or Ms.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Don't type the space in Excel. Type it in the Word document. So insert the field then type the space then insert the first name field.

Since not all the rows have salutations. In the merge option in Word, click on the option that where you choose "Don't print blank lines when fields are empty"

This should help you out, let me know if it did.

Upvote 0
AMDOBOS, I re-read your message and now see why you would not want to type a blank space in the document, if you did and it did not have a salutation it will still keep the blank space and you letter would not look pretty.

What I would do, is in Excel where there are blank salutaions. I would add a character that is not in the word document, something like @ Then I would do the merge. Having @ as the salutation for some of the letters, when the merge is complete. I would do a find and replace. I would find the @ and leave the replace blank and this would give you what you want.

Upvote 0
Your 2nd suggestion is clever and I will remember it. Since this is going to a third party vendor for merging and printing I'll need to speak with them to see if they can handle the S/R. The inclusion of a space is fine at the beginning of field text when preceded by a ', but apparently not at the conclusion. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back