Excel refuses to show me what DataSource a chart is using. How to find this?

jombi

Hi all,
I have read that there is no way within VBA to determine a datasource of a chart. In lieu of that I would like to at least see the range that the chart is using by looking at the chart design in Excel (not VBA).

But what I see instead is a Blank where the Range should be, and a message to the effect "...the range is to complicated to display".

So my quandry is that I've been given some workbooks with charts that need fixing. However, I can't see what's wrong with the charts if I can't see where the data comes from. The quandry is that the charts "mostly work", and are reasonably accurate, but need tweaking. If I so much as touch the Range in the Series properties, I'm afraid I'll wipe out everything--and I rather have a "mostly working" sheet than one that's completely dead.

I have been given no direction as to what the chart should be--that would've been nice. My job was to 'analyze what's there' and fix it. But, like I said, I can't really analyze what's there because, while I can look at the chart results, I can't look at what the source was.

Is this info gone forever (except maybe in the original workbook creator's mind...who's not with the company any more)?
Thanks,
Jombi

p45cal,
I can't do Teamviewer, I'm in a very high security situation here...in the formula I posted I had to change the range name to generic "Sales" out of concern that I'd get dinged by our cyber cops for even something so minor. I will see if I can 'blur' the header/fieldname data and post on skydrive or something like that.

FWIW, I removed every bit of code that I could find, thinking there's some _Change event in the chart that's firing and wipes it out. There are two xla files that our department has as standard on our machine image, but I doubt those do anything, but I'll try to start excel without those and test again.
Thanks for all your help, I'll post back later,
--Jombi

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
p45Cal,
Thanks for all your help, I have given up on this. I can't reproduce the issue in a sterile environment. I'm sure it has to do with all the various stuff going on in this sheet--there are two many things to extract to try an example to share and too many interconnecting parts, including the way the sheet is actually built in .Net code to even try and one-by-one try to solve via elimination. I'm stuck with it, and I'll just have to live with it.
Thanks,
Jombi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back