Excel solver error: missing parameter value

Emmy C

Hi!

I am having some trouble with the Excel solver.
I am trying to solve an assignment problem:
13 employees with numbers of hours available
7 projects with number of hours of work needed
13 x 7 boolean matrix that indicated whether an employee is able to do a project.
I want to assign employees to projects. The goal is just a dummy goal (maximize a constant).

Without this boolean matrix there are no problems. But ever since I added the matrix and the constraint coming along with it, I have this strange problem:

When I check the model, there are no errors found. But when I solve the model, I get the error: Missing parameter value: SkillMatrix(employee1,proj1). This suggests my matrix is not filled properly, however the whole 13 x 7 matrix is filled with ones (so should be an easy problem!). I have also tried filling it with TRUE, but no difference.

Interesting is that when I change the domain of my parameter that represents this matrix, the model solve gets stuck. So when I change the domain from boolean to for example nonnegative integer, there is again no error when checking the model. Now no error when solving the model, but the solving is endless. The log says: Solve started... and then no more information, even after a whole day of letting it run.

I couldn't find how to solve this anywhere on the internet, or in the excel solver help files. I have tried restating my constraint corresponding to this matrix, but it hasn't helped. This should be a very easy problem, so I hope someone can help me out here.

Thanks in advance,
Emmy C

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back