Excel to Database Solution Ideas for reducing manual process'

sibley14

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help & offer some advice. Please bare with me as i've tried to explain this in detail.

Essentially, what i'm trying to do is find a solution to reduce some of our manual admin process' without compromising the existing system too much. My initial thoughts would be an access database which 3-4 users could access at the same time.

Background:

At work we have extremely manual based systems (customer cards, stock cards, quote cards etc) but we have our customer works orders set up as excel templates for each different customer or part. i.e:

• Customer A) will have a different template for each part they have
  • Customer B) will have a different template for each part they have
  • And so on.

Each time an order comes in our process is to:

1. Update and print the excel template for the relevant customer & part (this consists of 5 sheets in a workbook. 1) Sales Order-pink, 2) Sales order Copy-White, 3)Works order, 4) Reverse of works order, 5) Process sheet). We fill this out partly in excel and then print the workbook.
  2. Next we have to book out the stock/inventory by hand onto the reverse using our manual stock/inventory book. Once completed, this sales order is then ready for manufacturing and goes to processing.
  3. Once the above excel sheet is completed, we then have to update the customer card and then file all copies of paperwork away (Sales order-Pink, Sales order Copy-White) Works order, Reverse & Process sheet go to manufacturing)
  4. Additionally we have to then print bespoke labels, delivery notes etc for despatch when the part is ready - however lets not focus on this part.

Ideally what i would like to happen is that we still retain the excel workbooks idea, but that as we fill out the customer information, i.e address, PO#, Date, Product, Quantity etc this then updates a corresponding database for that particular customer. This would give us the ability to see everything that the customer orders as and when we complete the excel sheet. Gradually this would allow us to migrate away from our customer cards onto a database of some sort (assuming access would work best here). n.b. Since these are pre-made templates sometimes all we alter is the date, PO# the part details remain untouched as it's a repeat order.

Additionally we could also do this for quotations (currently we email quotes in the body of the email as text). This could give us a complete customer history on an electronic system. We could then run reports from customers to see what they have ordered in the last 12 months, or even search to find which customers have had specific products.

Obviously this isn't a simple solution and it's perhaps getting into the realms of a CRM or ERP system, which we have explored. However i have not explored the route of looking at excel and/or a database solution and i'm interested to get your thoughts on how feasible and robust this would be.

Bearing in mind we've used the mighty pen & paper for 37 years now. However it's frustratingly slow during busy times, and we have no data at our fingertips. But it is flexible which is important as often we have to un-book stock, or return materials, perhaps even adjust a customer order date or quantity.

Additionally we are constantly overwriting excel files as new orders come in so the only history we have are brief details on the customer card, or mountains of paperwork files of previous orders.

There has to be a faster, solution.

Any advice that you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
cust7part5partpart detailscustomercust_dtails
part14part1det2cust1det3
part19part2det4cust2det5
part3det6cust3det7
part4det8cust4det9
part5det10cust5det11
part6det12cust6det2
part7det14cust7det4
customer order summarypart8det16cust8det6
part9det18cust9det8
NAMEcust7part10det20cust10det10
part11det22
DETAILSdet4part12det24
part13det1
PARTSpart5det25part14det3
part14det3part15det5
part19det13part16det7
0part17det9
0part18det11
part19det13
part20det15
part21det17
part22det19
part23det21
part24det23
part25det25
the customer order summary is generated
automatically when a customer name and parts required
is entered inti cell A1
you can update the 2 lookup tables whenever you want
but they must be kept in alphabetical order
if this is not acceptable there is a solution using offset match
easy to have a button macro that now prints
the customer order summary, as many copies
and whatever colours you require

<colgroup><col span="17"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi oldbrewer,
thanks for responding so quickly. I consider myself an intermediate with excel, absolute beginner with macros, VBA. Apologies but i'm not quite sure i understand your response fully.

I have copied and pasted this to excel and can see the layout, i.e cust 7 is in cell A1, but i'm not quite sure (yet) if this would work for us. Perhaps you can explain a little further to help me understand.

ideally if i updated my existing excel customer template, then this in turn would update the customer record database with the product details, quantity, price, carriage, PO ,Date etc. Then i have a full record of everything my customer takes.

I would prefer to have seperate customer records if possible, but i know that this data could be searcheable. I also need to think about multiple users as there are 3-4 people making these orders out, booking stock, updated customer cards etc. Fairly complex i guess.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
multiple users in excel - once fred opens the workbook nobody else can - if you need simultaneous users you need ACCESS.

my approach relies on you to input basic order details so in A1 to B3 you put cust7 and the 3 part numbers

using the 2 lookup tables you pull customer details and part details into the customer order summary

you can print this out via a macro applying any colours you like.

if you add customer orders to an existing customer database you could the CURRENT customer order summary from that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back