Excel VBA and ADODB connection to SQL server

glyn2w

I have managed to create some code that takes my SQL (in a cell on my spreadsheet) and it run the SQL on my server. But the SQL I have isn't working. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the difference in languages (JET) etc. I ahve tried both the following but both seem to fail. Cany anyone suggest other options?

This one works:
Code:
SELECT Inpatient_Ex.HospitalProviderSpellNumber, Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime, Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime, LuCustomisableDate.StartDate, LuCustomisableDate.EndDate
FROM Inpatient_Ex INNER JOIN LuCustomisableDate ON (Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime<LUCUSTOMISABLEDATE.ENDDATE) (Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime AND>=LuCustomisableDate.StartDate)
WHERE ((Inpatient_Ex.EpisodeNumber)='1')

This one fails:
Code:
SELECT Inpatient_Ex.HospitalProviderSpellNumber, Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime, Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime, LuCustomisableDate.StartDate, LuCustomisableDate.EndDate, Iif(LuCustomisableDate.StartDate<INPATIENT_EX.SPELLSTARTDATETIME,INPATIENT_EX.SPELLSTARTDATETIME,LUCUSTOMISABLEDATE.STARTDATE) AS adjStart
 FROM Inpatient_Ex INNER JOIN LuCustomisableDate ON (Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime<LUCUSTOMISABLEDATE.ENDDATE) (Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime AND>=LuCustomisableDate.StartDate)

This fails too:
Code:
SELECT Inpatient_Ex.HospitalProviderSpellNumber, Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime, Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime, LuCustomisableDate.StartDate, LuCustomisableDate.EndDate, CASE WHEN LuCustomisableDate.StartDate<Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime THEN Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime ELSE LuCustomisableDate.StartDate As adjStart
FROM Inpatient_Ex INNER JOIN LuCustomisableDate ON (Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime<LuCustomisableDate.EndDate) AND (Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime>=LuCustomisableDate.StartDate)

My Connection String is:
Code:
myConnection = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;" & _
    "Persist Security Info=False;" & _
    "Initial Catalog=InformationDB;" & _
    "Data Source=PURPLE2"

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You don't have a FROM clause ;)

The syntax on your second failure is waaay out and it doesn't have a from clause either

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry the thread seems to be cutting it off!

SELECT Inpatient_Ex.HospitalProviderSpellNumber, Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime, Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime, LuCustomisableDate.StartDate, LuCustomisableDate.EndDate, CASE WHEN LuCustomisableDate.StartDate<Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime THEN Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime ELSE LuCustomisableDate.StartDate As adjStart </SPAN>
FROM Inpatient_Ex INNER JOIN LuCustomisableDate ON (Inpatient_Ex.SpellStartDateTime<LuCustomisableDate.EndDate) AND (Inpatient_Ex.SpellEndDateTime>=LuCustomisableDate.StartDate)</SPAN>
WHERE ((Inpatient_Ex.EpisodeNumber)='1')</SPAN>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What error are you getting?

p.s the board doesn't like your < signs, it thinks they're html tags

Upvote 0
Aaaah - can you tell I'm a new poster!

Managed to get this to work actually. I read somewhere that the ADODB connection wouldn't let me use CASE WHEN so I swtiched to IIF. But the IIF didn't like the 'less than' sign. So back to CASE WHEN and (when I ENDed it properly) it seems to be OK.

Thanks for your help Kyle123 :)

Upvote 0
IIF() isn't a valid native function in MS SQL Server. I can't see your complete CASE statement because it's been cut off - why are you trying to change it to an IIF()?

Upvote 0
That's why I asked if your SQL ran in ssms, I wouldn't have thought it would have without END. Glad you got it sorted :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back