Excel VBA - Assign object variable to userform Listbox

Harry Flashman

I have a userform which contains a ListBox called lbPivotFields_Selected.

How do I assign this to an object variable of the ListBox type (as opposed to just a generic Object)?

I tried this
Code:
Dim lb As ListBox
Set lb = lbPivotFields_Selected

But I get a Type Mismatch error message.

Can anyone see where I am going wrong, please. I would rather use the ListBox type because then I get intellisense. Or is this not possible?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Declare lb as an MSForms.ListBox.
Code:
Dim lb As MSForms.ListBox

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie. It's weird because I don't have to specify MSForms for a ListBox on a worksheet. But your solution works. cheers.

Upvote 0
I have a userform which contains a ListBox called lbPivotFields_Selected...

...Can anyone see where I am going wrong, please. I would rather use the ListBox type because then I get intellisense. Or is this not possible?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings Harry,

Try specifying the ListBox as belonging to MSForms.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br>  <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> lb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> msforms.ListBox<br>  <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> UserForm_Initialize()<br>  <br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> lb = lbPivotFields_Selected<br>  <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

If you look in the Object Browser (and choose Show Hidden Members), you will see that there are two list boxes, one belonging to Excel (which I would bet means the listbox for a Dialog Sheet) and one from MSForms.

Anyways and just curious... Why not just use lbPivotFields_Selected?

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Greetings Harry,

Try specifying the ListBox as belonging to MSForms.

Option Explicit

Private lb As msforms.ListBox

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Set lb = lbPivotFields_Selected

End Sub

If you look in the Object Browser (and choose Show Hidden Members), you will see that there are two list boxes, one belonging to Excel (which I would bet means the listbox for a Dialog Sheet) and one from MSForms.

Anyways and just curious... Why not just use lbPivotFields_Selected?

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thanks Mark. In answer to your question, simply to save typing when referring to the object more than a couple of times. In this case I probably could have achieved the same saving using With .... End With, but it so happens this time I used an object variable instead and got this error message, revealing something that I didn't know (ie the difference between an MSForms ListBox and an Excel ListBox).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Wamp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back