Excel Vba, Picturelink, Changes in Excel Version 2310

vzczc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just noticed a breaking change after updating to Version 2310 today (Version 2310 (Build 16924.20124 Click-to-Run))

If you have a picturelink in Sheet1 with the name pictureOne where the formula property is set to "=A1:A10"

In previous versions, you could do the following in vba
Sheets("Sheet1").Pictures("pictureOne").formula=""

You can no longer do that in version 2310 and get an error message when trying to do that.

You can set the formula property to something else but not to "" or vbNullString.

I can not seem to find any documentation to suggest there are any breaking changes to the Excel Object model in this version.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

As for the question, why I would want to do this. The reason is that when running complex vba code that takes a long time to run, Excel is very slow if you have any active picture links in your workbook. In previous versions, you could simply store all picture formula properties, set them all to "", do your refresh and calculations and then simply put the formula back

Well, that is the core of the problem, it works on most computers, but not all, including mine which runs the latest version of Windows 11 combined with the latest release of Office 365. Have some VM's with beta version of Windows and Office 365, and they have the same problem. Most of our clients have older version combinations and everything works fine there. The problem is how to find out exactly what is going on when this does not work. For now, as mentioned earlier, I have code that detects this state and if it is in this state, remove and then recreate picture links when needed.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Just thought I should update this thread with the completely nonsensical answer I finally got from Microsoft support after 2 months. It misses the mark completely and I have given up getting anything sensible out of them. They are not even trying to understand or work with this issue. They used to be somewhat competent and at least trying to solve issues, but that is clearly no longer the case....

Hi ,

Regarding your situation here we consulted with our tech advisors and senior engineers and find out that the issue you are facing is going with your Macros formula and sincerely sorry to say that the issue you are facing is out of our support specialty.

As though we don't analyze/ provide root causes this situation can be happened for the formula type depreciation. So, for this type of situation could you please try to downgrade your office version and check the issue still persists or not. For this situation if you still face the error then we can suggest you to seek help in our Microsoft Community. We have a lot of experienced supporters here: Microsoft Community

If you have any queries left, then please let us know.

Best Regards,

Niloy

Microsoft Office 365 Support Engineer
Working Hours: Monday-Friday : 03:00 PM – 12:00 AM (UTC+8)

My Technical Lead : Alia [redacted email]
My Manager Email : Freddy |
[redacted email]
My Technical Advisor : Byulaha Patro | [redacted email]

Upvote 0
I feel your pain. This part:
the issue you are facing is going with your Macros formula and sincerely sorry to say that the issue you are facing is out of our support specialty.
Is a pretty good indication that have no understanding of the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back