Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.

soxlug

This has happened a couple of times where I open a locally stored spreadsheet and get a warning that reads:

Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.

Removed records: shared formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet3.xml part
Removed records: formula from /xl/calcChain.xml part (calculation properties)

click to view log file listing repairs: "local path to an xml file"

the xml file then basically shows the removed records that are shown above. I am not sure what is causing this issue has anyone seen this and have an idea as to why this warning appears.

If you click to repair the file, it will delete whatever it thought was corrupt. In my case, it was an entire sheet. Fortunately, I didn't need the data on that sheet any longer. However, I did go into an older version of the same spreadsheet and found the sheet that had the error. I broke all links to that sheet. I will be keeping an eye out for any other links that may appear in other spreadsheets I use and break the links if they aren't needed since this seems to cause confusion in Excel for some reason.

Also, after reparing the file, Excel gives you the worksheet that contained the error. You can figure out which worksheet it is referring to by right clicking on a worksheet tab and choosing View Code. On the left, there will be a list of all of your worksheet tabs with the name you've given them and Excel's original name (i.e. Worksheet26). The Excel message gives you the original Excel name.

I hope Microsoft can fix this in their next version - what a pain!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Repair a corrupted workbook manually

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Open.

1. In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.
  2. Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, click Repair.
    • To extract values and formulas from the workbook when an attempt to repair the workbook is not successful, click Extract Data.
If this method wasn’t effective in your case, apply Excel Repair Toolbox offered here are highly advanced and have strong built in data recovery algorithm that can produce desired results. By using this user can perform quick and accurate recovery of corrupt .XLS and .XLSX files.

Features of Excel Recovery Software-

§ Recovers all types of Excel data with full accuracy.
§ Recovers multiple .XLS and .XLSX files.
§ Maintains data integrity of the original file after repairing the damaged Excel sheets.

Visit:- http://www.excelrepairtoolbox.com/

Upvote 0
In case anyone else has this problem in the future, I wanted to post one other possible cause for this error. It can be caused if a parameter set for an external connection refers to a field that no longer exists. In my case, I had deleted a sheet that an external query on another sheet was using. I had no idea that this other external connection even existed as this was a workbook created by someone else. The error message and log file that I saw during the repair did not mention the query by name or the sheet it was on. I only discovered that this was the problem through trial and error. Easy fix: In the menu, select Data, then Connections, then for each connection choose Properties, then Definition. On the definition window, if the Parameter button is enabled, click on that and verify that the parameter location still exists. Fixing this got rid of my issue. Note that this only works if you have an older, pre error version of the workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back