Removing Unreadable Content

Blue Cheeseburger

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet (.xlsm) that is suddenly not working properly. When I try to open it, it opens briefly, and then closes. When I try again to open it, I get a message about opening Excel in safe mode. If I select No, the spreadsheet opens, and says it has been repaired. If I click to see what was repaired, I get this:

"Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.

Removed Feature: Object from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)
Removed Feature: OLE Control Extension from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)
Lost ActiveX controls."

The spreadsheet has ActiveX buttons that need to be usable.

I tried repairing Microsoft 365, but this didn't help. Is there anything else I can try? I have a backup of the spreadsheet, but when I try to open it, the same thing happens.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
This sounds like the sort of thing that happens when the library that the control came from gets updated. With all Office applications closed, search for and delete any .exd files on your computer (Make sure to include hidden and system folders in the search).

Upvote 0
This sounds like the sort of thing that happens when the library that the control came from gets updated. With all Office applications closed, search for and delete any .exd files on your computer (Make sure to include hidden and system folders in the search).
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem (or I did something wrong). The only .exd files I found were these two (I included hidden and system folders):

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\Excel8.0\MSForms.exd

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE\MSForms.exd

I deleted these two files and restarted my computer. I checked, and the files were still deleted. I tried to open the spreadsheet but got the same results.

Upvote 0
Can you check for a file called EXCEL.box too?

If you open excel in safe mode, does it help?

Just for future reference, this is one of the reasons I recommend avoiding activex controls if at all possible.

Upvote 0
I found EXCEL.box in C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms. I deleted EXCEL.box and tried again, but got the same results.

I am not familiar with using Excel in safe mode.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate you taking time to give me things to try.

Upvote 0
Start Excel while holding down the Ctrl key and answer Yes to the prompt. Then try opening the workbook.

Upvote 0
I tried opening the workbook in safe mode. The workbook briefly tried to open, and then Excel closed.

I'll take your advice about ActiveX. I didn't realize a workbook could open one day, and then crash the next.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Any chance you can post the workbook somewhere for us to have a look at? If it works for me, then it is something local to your machine; if not, it's probably an issue with the workbook.

Upvote 0
Any chance you can post the workbook somewhere for us to have a look at? If it works for me, then it is something local to your machine; if not, it's probably an issue with the workbook.
I went to my local library today. On a library computer, the workbook opened, and everything worked. So, apparently, it's something local to my computer.

The version of Excel on my home computer is Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2311 Build 16.0.17029.20028) 64-bit.

The version of Excel on the library computer that I used is Excel 2019 MSO (16.0.10404.20013) 64-bit.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back