Excel workbook disappeared without saving - how to recover

cpu97

Board Regular
Hi,

Today I started filling in data in a blank workbook (Windows 10, Excel 2019). The excel window was not full screen as I was going back and forth between excel and another application. I highlighted two rows and tried to click on unfreeze panes, and all of a sudden the spreadsheet is gone. It was as if I had clicked on the other application to put it into focus and the spreadsheet was hidden behind it, but that's not the case. All of the other spreadsheets I have open are still open, but this new one mysteriously disappeared. Usually I get a warning about closing without saving, but not this time. Foolish of me not to save earlier, I know, but is there any way to recover this recent file?

Thanks for considering.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Go to the Excel File menu, then Open.
At the bottom there should be a button to 'Recover unsaved workbooks'. If you can't find it there then it's time to start again :eek:

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you - unfortunately the list includes only workbooks I was prompted to save prior to closing. Back to the drawing board! Very odd.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantrob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back