Exponential Colour Filling for Graph

FaithMonax

Good morning,

I'm working on a graph which gives ratings to processes, from 1 to 5, based on two variables.
The total Score is a multiplication of both variables.
For example:
-Process 1: (Variable A: 2, Variable B: 4, Aggregate score: 8)
-Process 2: (Variable A: 3, Variable B: 3, Aggregate score: 9)

I'm trying to get an Excel Graph that performs a colour fill based on this (see conditional formatting example image) :
Green: 1-4
Yellow: 4-9
Orange: 9-16
Red: 16-25

I'm looking to do this via a graph, for presentation to higher-ups.
Any idea how? I'm open to doing this in Excel or Power BI, whichever tool is the best for the job.

Attachments

• image.PNG
    image.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Here is a Line Area graph that may work:

1714499071285.png

Upvote 1
Thanks for the great suggestion :)
I managed to create one, and to make a combo with an X/Y Scatter - which would be my data points. However, for some reason I don't understand, my data points on the scatter are not following my X axis. They are definitively in the right pattern, and there is no issue with the Y values, but my X values, for some reason do not go over 1.3 (and the range is 1 to 5).

1714508113835.png

I'm also not getting the option to fix my X-axis with Major/Minor units for some reason, I only get what you see below. That's an issue I'm unfamiliar with, any idea what could be causing this?
I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking..

1714508249030.png

Upvote 0
I just freewheeled the line chart. How about sharing some sample data?
1. What is the equation for each line of the lines?
2. What are the x-y points for the scatter?

Upvote 0
Sure thing.

Data for the stacked chart is the following.
X: 1 to 5, by 0.1 increments
Line 1: x * y = 4
Line 2: x * y = 9 - Line 1
Line 3: x * y = 16 - (Line 1 + Line 2)

This has the desired effect of x * y following a total of 4, 9 and 16 respectively .

My X-Y Scatter is about a dozen points, like this (see small table below for a sample). For some reason it doesn't seem to be playing well with my X axis, even though my X axis is from 1 to 5.

Any thoughts or things to check are appreciated.. I might have missed something obvious, I haven't worked on these types of charts in a while.

1714565334532.png

1714565082630.png

Upvote 0
Ah, I also had a Line 4 which has the same X, and a constant value of Y = 5 to fill the top portion.

I managed to make it work by building the Chart starting from the Scatter chart first, and then adding the Stacked Chart (as a Combo) on top of it. It created a Secondary X axis which I matched to my primary X axis - this new X axis was actually based on Numbers, because the X axis of Stacked charts seems to be based on Text values, from my limited understanding..

Upvote 0
Ah, I also had a Line 4 which has the same X, and a constant value of Y = 5 to fill the top portion.

I managed to make it work by building the Chart starting from the Scatter chart first, and then adding the Stacked Chart (as a Combo) on top of it. It created a Secondary X axis which I matched to my primary X axis - this new X axis was actually based on Numbers, because the X axis of Stacked charts seems to be based on Text values, from my limited understanding..
Great. But, please post your solution. And mark it as the solution. People searching for this kind of question will know it has been answered.

Upvote 0
Here is the solution I found:
1. Create a scatter chart with the data points
2. Add stacked area chart data
3. Change as combo chart Custom.
4. Set scatter dataset to scatter, following secondary axis
5. Set stacked area chart to stacked area, following primary axis.
6. Adjust both X and Y primary and secondary axis to match

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back