Export Data from Excel into an existing (fillable) PDF Form

DaveMacdonald

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a PDF that I can't make any modification to, that has a series of questions, etc. and I have an Excel Workbook that has a relatively large list of names (about 360) along with the last for of their social and a ton of other stuff. for this project, I have made the PDF into a form, and I need to create one pdf for each individual with the name and last 4 of their social, filled out based on the list in Excel...

The two fields i need filled are 1: "Employee's Name" and 2: "Employee's Social". I have an excel sheet where I extracted just the name and social from the larger sheet, named "EE List" creatively enough...

The sheet has those two columns and 371 rows or so.

Is there a way to autogenerate 371 individual PDF's based on my existing PDF, so that each File has the name and last 4 of the social filled out in the appropriate field, based on that list from excel?

If there is an easier way, outside of excel.... maybe someone knows....

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Should the form fields in the output pdf files be flattened (no longer act as interactive form fields that a user can edit)?
Or do these form fields need to remain as active form fields in the resulting pdf files?

Also, how do you need to distribute these pdf files? Should each pdf be emailed to a different email address provided by each excel row?

Upvote 0
Should the form fields in the output pdf files be flattened (no longer act as interactive form fields that a user can edit)?
Or do these form fields need to remain as active form fields in the resulting pdf files?

Also, how do you need to distribute these pdf files? Should each pdf be emailed to a different email address provided by each excel row?
The fields no longer need to be fillable, beyond the name and social initially I suppose, and I don’t need to distribute them to lots of folks, it’s all going to one folder. Eventually they will need to get printed and signed (in ink) but that’s it. I’m sure we will feed them through a larger scanner at that point

Upvote 0
It would be really cool to be able to email them out to a distribution list but that’s more of a bonus at this point and not necessary. I’m going to share them through MS OneDrive or at most email them directly but it’ll all go to one person, compressed.

Upvote 0
Since you don't truly need form fields, it is simpler to do mail merge into a Word Template and save the resulting files as pdf.

If you are comfortable with vba code, you can automate that workflow and you can find vba samples. For example, I just located this discussion.

Graham Mayor has a free 'Many-to-One' utility that can handle this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Actually, given that you don't need emailing, you can simply use MS Word mail merge and elect to save as pdf.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back