Exported Dataset Formatting Issues

Bomasterflex24

I have a dataset exported from another database, ADP, Smartsheet or something. The entire workbook cells are stored as text however, the cell format still says "General".
I have tried to change the cell format around but the change is not detected, as verified by using functions like ISTEXT and ISNUMBER.

I should not have to copy the entire workbook and paste "as values" and then go column by column adjusting the formats as text, number, time, date.

The issue is that anything I write will appear as the proper "General" format but even when I change it to "Text" Excel still does not recognize the cell as text.

Pictures posted below
1618599492312.png

1618599556892.png

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Your example doesn't really make it clear what you are trying to achieve.
All the entries you are referring as being text have a non-numeric / alpha character in them, so of course even if the format it general they will be recognised as text.
Because the format is General all your manual entered fully numeric values will be recognised as numeric.
If you want these to be text you would need to format the cell / column as text before you manually enter the number.
Changing the format from General to Text after the number is already in the cell will not convert it.

So if you can show us more columns, and explain what the issue is and what you would like the result to be we can come up with some options.
Options could depend on things like how many columns we are talking about, whether the same "data type" columns are contiguous or not (for manually converting it as a block), and whether you are interested in looking at Power Query as a possible means of conversion.

It would also help if you updated your profile so we know which version you are on, since that may impact on your available options.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back