Exporting data from specific excel line to word template

hetauma

Hi
I'm trying to help a coworker to improve his work flow.

What I want to do is to export data from cells in a specific row of an excel file to a wold template.(will explain further down what exactly I want)
I just need some good directions on what to do. Some similar implementations or guides since I haven't done anything with VBA before.

Detailed task description
There is an excel file with about 10 columns that is the database of the certificates that we issue.
Columns are like clients name, scope, certificate number, Date of issue, Valid until, etc etc.
Then we copy all these fields to a doc document which has some logos and text that is the same on all certificates and print it.

Since the excel file is our master file and our database that gets updated daily, I want to be able to insert these 10 fields on the excel file and generate the according certificate for that row.
Also keep in mind that this excel file will get quite big over time and I want to create the word file based on specific row only.

Can someone please guide me on what to look for and if possible give me some guides for this kind of task?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
A simple method may be to have on a separate sheet a few VLOOKUP formulas that return the row information for a given row number or customer ID or however you want it to reference the data. Then in the Word.doc, have a dynamic link to the formula cells. That dynamic link will automatically update when you change the lookup.

The 2nd half of this video shows how to create an HTML link in Word to a specific range of cells in Excel using the Paste Special feature.
Linking Excel data with Word

Here's another link to a step-by-step guide with a little more elaborate solution.
Printing Excel Reports via a Word Document

You may find others by searching for something like
Word to Excel dynamic links
Print Excel with Word template

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back