Extending Pivot tables

Queenie80

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I've been asked to create a databse using Excel 2010 for a friend who runs three choirs. He currently stores information about each choir member in 3 separate spreadsheets. He also prints out attendee names to sign a register each week which is all kept in paper format. He now needs to centralise this data to make it easier for him to manage.

I need to create 1 spreadsheet with the following:
TAB 1: Holds the core dataset for each member of all 3 Choirs (e.g. Columns for Name, still Active, Choir1/Choir2/Choir3, contact details etc.)
TAB 2 for Choir1 - using data from TAB1, I want to display all Active members of Choir 1 in one column. Then I want to use these names to create an Attendence sheet, with subsequent columns with heading dates and a 1 or 0 next to each name depending on whether they attended that particular session.
TAB3: Choir 2, same as above
TAB 3: Choir 3, same as above

I have prepared the data for TAB 1. Every member of all 3 Choirs have their details stored on one row of an Excel table.
I had planned on using this data to create a Pivot table which would allow me to filter for the specific Choir and whether or not they are an Active member. So far so good.
The problem I have is that I now want to extend the Pivot table to include new columns headed with weekly dates which can be edited each week when the register is taken.
I have found this doesn't work - if someone were to leave (not Active) and the Pivot table refreshed then the person would be removed from the list but the new data manually added will not be affected.
Essentially I want to extend the Pivot table but without data from the initial data set.
Does anyone have any idea how I can do this so that people's details are only entered once in the data set and the subsequent Attendence sheets are auto populated with the name data?

Hope this makes sense!
Many thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
It would be easier to help if you can attach a copy of your workbook. Remember to remove/replace any sensitive data before uploading.

Upvote 0
Feeling rather stupid - how do I upload it to this thread? I only see options to use a URL but I don't have that. Can't see any option to attach a file...

Upvote 0
Actually you're correct - I can't find it either. I assumed this forum would work the same way others do with respect to attachments.

This is in the FAQ:
[h=2]Can I attach my workbook to my question?[/h]No.
But, however, you can use HTML Maker to do that.

I have no idea what that means and don't have the time to spend on finding out!!! Sorry - I'm not much help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texmansru47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back