External Data Refresh TRASHES my Functions!

ChrisOK

I've taken a (single sheet) workbook from my boss and created several others to track status of quotes 24hr/7days.
I did this by creating detailed sheets that use the EXTERNAL DATA pull ( to pull from the tab called "MASTER" within the same workbook )....
Then, I created the "Overview Sheets" to pull "linked" data from functions entered at the base of each of the detailed tabs....
( My functions/formulas on the detailed sheets are highlighted in YELLOW and are stored on either Row 500 or Row 1000.)

My goal was to create all the reporting sheets, protect them all EXCEPT for the one called "MASTER" which will be the universal "entry" page for many people to use and update while the workbook is loaded on a company server. All of my development has been done while the file is on my hard drive though. ( as I know servers can do weird things sometimes ).....

Initially, I was going to build a web-site and load it there -- but soon discovered that you can not PROTECT and SHARE a workbook that is loaded onto a web-site ( without defeating the purpose of having it accessible (updateable) to many people at any time )..... Putting it on a web-site limits it to one person being able to update the status of a line item - if I understood the research correctly.

Meanwhile, I thought I was just about done - to give it to my boss-- -- and realized that something's going wrong with the REFRESH process.
I have it set to 1 minute ( to keep it constantly updating data from the MASTER sheet )....
It worked great for a day or 2 - but now the workbook seems to be confused.

The LOC ( location) tabs have a formula that looks at all the line items at the top of the sheet and reports the LONGEST NUMBER OF DAYS that a quote has been open. ( for THAT particular location code )....

I found that a lot of cells on the MASTER had ghost blanks at the end of the data and wasn't picking up the proper calculation for HOW MANY ARE CLOSED "C" and HOW MANY ARE OPEN "O" on each of the STATUS sheets.... ( Stat O, Stat PC, Stat C, Stat X ) SO --- I went through the master and performed a TRIM function on all the important columns to clean out blanks that would keep the COUNTA functions from reporting accurately.....
Once I did this ----- I found that my LONGEST # of DAYS formulas ( on each LOC sheet ) no longer worked.... which made no sense!

This morning I went down the STATUS and the DAYS OPEN columns of the MASTER sheet and clicked at the end of each cell - then hit ENTER.... When I did this --- the data jumped to the left and "fed properly" to the LOC tabs....
I hit SAVE --- BUT as soon as the "refresh occurred" -- the # of DAYS OPEN formulas quit working....

I don't understand WHY this is happening -- or how to fix it permanently?
SOME HOW -- I was able to fix the LOC C tab to work properly --- but LOC E, R,S,T etc. are still not working properly.
I can send the workbook if you like!?! .... ChrisOK

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I opened a new sheet within the same workbook.
Selected: DATA/ GET EXT DATA/ selected Excel as source/ then selected the name of the workbook I was already "in"....
Then, I chose "Master" as the tab ( sheet ) that I wanted to pull the data from....
and chose sort options etc from there...
Is this what you mean by the range?

( I wanted it to pull everything in the columns selected by chosing "Master" )

Pls clarify - if this is not what you meant...? THANKS for your Assistance!

Upvote 0
Are you talking about going to:
DATA/ EXTERNAL DATA RANGE PROPERTIES ???????

At the top of the properties box it says the name is:
"Query From Excel Files_1 "

Then there's Query Definition
Refresh Control Properties -- etc...

Upvote 0
I tried to paste an image but -- didnt work -- sorry --
Okay -- Here's the info -- manually....
X Save Query Def
X Save Password

XEnable Background
XRefresh Every 1 minute
XRefresh Data on file
(__) Remove external data from worksheet

XInclude field names XPreserve column etc
(_) Incl row numbers XPreserve cell formatting
XAdjust col width

If the # of rows in the data range changes.....
XInsert cells for new data, delete unused cells
(_) Insert entire...
(_)Overwrite existing...

(_)Fill down formulas

X ='s checked
(_) ='s NOT checked

Upvote 0
Additional Note:
I've already checked to verify that each sheet is set up identically and all are set to 1 minute to ASSURE that ALL are updating --

It's really weird -- I don't know how I fixed the one --- but perhaps you would see how one sheet differs from the other ---
and why it is now updating properly -- but all others are still trashing the function formulas....upon 'refresh'..... Let me know if you'd like me to send you the workbook.

Upvote 0
Why haven't you checked "Fill down formulas"? What are the defined names on your MASTER sheet?

Upvote 0
Not sure -- but I will - on each sheet if that's what needs to be changed...
Right now, I checked the sheet that works ( and it is not checked ) but it's working for some reason.....

I'm not sure I understand your question about the Master sheet and defined names...

Where do I go to view what you want?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back