External Links Won't Break

jworkman7

Board Regular
I've scoured the internet for solutions to this annoying problem, but no solution has worked so far. I made a copy of two tabs from another workbook, and placed them into my current book. Then, I adjusted all formulas pointing to the old workbook, to the new workbook. However, somewhere in my workbook, I still have external links to another file. I have tried going up to Data --> Edit Links, choosing the linked file and clicking Break Link, but it doesn't break the link.

I have tried searching for the bracket [ and the \ symbols in the tabs I copied over (and the whole workbook, really), but neither of them seem to find any formulas containing the characters. Has anyone ever encountered the issue where the external link would remain no matter what? I can turn off the notification so it doesn't appear when I open the file, but I'd rather just fix the issue.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Look in your named ranges. Sometimes those will link to the old workbook.

Upvote 0
Verify that there are no links within the Name Manager (Formulas Tab>Name Manager) also, if you have any VBA code, Command Buttons, Conditional Formatting, Data Validation lists, or any Charts/Graphs within your file it could cause the issue... check that as well.

Upvote 0
You've gotten some good advice above.

Here's some more that won't help solve your immediate problem, but will prevent it for future use. Instead of copying the tabs, move them, then close the source workbook w/o saving it. You will now have "copies" of the desired sheets in your new workbook that are free of any links to the source workbook.

Upvote 0
@dchaney

It looks like we're chasing the same ambulance. That was a more thorough response.

@JoeMo

Didn't know that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You've gotten some good advice above.

Here's some more that won't help solve your immediate problem, but will prevent it for future use. Instead of copying the tabs, move them, then close the source workbook w/o saving it. You will now have "copies" of the desired sheets in your new workbook that are free of any links to the source workbook.

This is a great technique, I'll definitely use it. Thank you!

Upvote 0
@JoeMo that is great information to have, I was not aware of that either...

@Jeffery It seems so :) I tend to use these as learning steps for me... I am self teaching VBA so all the extra little things and hints I find and do here have really helped me...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back