Extract contents between two sub strings.

nemo1478

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Reserve power at site: x
Time of A Failure: y
Time of A Restoration: z
Duration of A Failure: a
Time of Site Failure: b
Time of Site Restoration: c
Duration of Site Failure: d
Duration of Reserve Power: e

In the above sample text I want to be able to extract the data (x,y,z,a,b,c,d,e) between the various sub strings and place them into separate columns. I have found solutions that will extract the contents between two words or two characters but not between entire strings of text. Can anyone suggest how this can be done or an even better way of approaching this?

Code:
Sub SplitLF()
Dim sData As String, sStr() As String, i As Integer, j As Integer, LR As Long, nStr As String, ubnd As Variant
LR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
For j = 1 To LR
sData = Range("A" & j)
sStr = Split(sData, Chr(10))
ubnd = UBound(sStr)
For i = 1 To ubnd
nStr = Right(sStr(i), Len(sStr(i)) - (InStr(sStr(i), ":") + 1))
Cells(j, i + 2) = nStr
Next i
Next j
End Sub

ALT+F11 will open the VBA editor. Right click This Workbook and insert a module. Paste this code in there.
Then run it from the Developer tab under Macros.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Power Details:-
I guess you don't want the "-".

Try this in cell B2 and copy it across

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A2,"-"&CHAR(10),""),CHAR(10),REPT(" ",LEN($A2)),COLUMNS($B:B)),": ",REPT(" ",LEN($A2)),COLUMNS($B:B)),LEN($A2)+1,LEN($A2)))

Upvote 0
It works! I never knew excel was this powerful. I have been typing in these fields manually for months. I just have to take some time and try to understand this formula. Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0
To modify the formula I posted (see the assumptions I made in Message #6), you just need to change the -1 to +1...

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",300)),(2*COLUMNS($B1:B1)+1)*300,300))

Upvote 0
I'm having a slight problem with one of the solutions presented. The following formula from DanteAmor works perfectly

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A2,"-"&CHAR(10),""),CHAR(10),REPT(" ",LEN($A2)),COLUMNS($B:B)),": ",REPT(" ",LEN($A2)),COLUMNS($B:B)),LEN($A2)+1,LEN($A2)))

but this one from Rick Rothstein has a slight issue:

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",300)),(2*COLUMNS($B1:B1)+1)*300,300))

1. Formula 2 is extracting 'Time of A failure:' into one of the columns when I actually want the info after the colon which in the example should be 'y'.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back