Extract Data from middle with variable length strings left and right?

startzc

I have been going through every command I can find and trying to tweak it to extract 2 separate sets of data into new columns. I was able to get half but the other would not work.

I need to extract just the BLDG# "90210" in one column, not always 5 characters but the "BLDG: " and the following semi-colon are always there.

In teh second column I need just the RM# whcih can vary from 1 to 6 characters in length and also always includes the "RM: " and following semi-colon.

[BLDG: 90210; RM: 108; ORGANIZATION: UNKNOWN; USER: $svc.FTEV.fsmpss; LAST UPDATE: 08/13/2014]

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Alternatively if there is a way to just import that column into another spreadsheet and automatically delimit it I could easily make this work also.

Background info:
The spreadsheet this is in is being extracted fro Active Directory using a VBS script. This spreadsheet then gets imported into an Access database to track/manage assets, including location as entered every 60 days by moronic users that like to screw up our whole system.

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Norie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This works on your example.

=TRIM(MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(";",A1)-1),7,LEN(A1)))

startzc

That worked for Bldg#. Thanks

I await something for the second set. I could get it to give me "RM: 128" but it would not take #s less than 3 digits or drop the "RM: " which I could work around if it would pull all the Rm#s at least.

t0azt

Board Regular
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif; white-space: inherit; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">=RIGHT(LEN(A1)-x)Replace the x with the number of characters you want removed.Hope that helps!</code></pre>

startzc

ADVERTISEMENT

No, there are varying lengths of characters in front of and after the data I need, but thank you.

startzc

Never-mind, but thank you for your help. Went a much easier way of just delimiting the column and then using =REPLACE to get rid of the lead characters. Now I have the data the way I need it.

István Hirsch

Try this formula to extract the number after „RM”:

=MID(A1,FIND("RM: ",A1)+4,FIND(",",A1,FIND("RM: ",A1))-FIND("RM: ",A1)-4)

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afc

This Week's Hot Topics