Formula(s) / macro to reduce the digit numbers length of unit measure (UM) part from a string, then to export the new UM section in another column

vladimiratanasiu

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I have a very large database, including about 13000 retail products. Each product, depending on the composition and packaging, includes in its string name (column A) data about weight or volume, expressed as UM in litre / kilogram or their smaller unit (miligram / mililitre)- e.g. LIPTON ICE TEA GREEN WHITE PIERSICA 1.5L ; FITNESS CEREALE FRUCTE 225G. The values corresponding to products are expressed by larger (see column A - 1250G, 1800ML etc.) or smaller (idem – 2L, 1KG etc.) values. Giving the integration of database in a SaaS software, the new technical conditions require a standardized system for names of products, with a limited number of characters. It views also the UM elements length, that must be optimized by reducing as much as possible their dimension, and converting the larger length a smaller one. In this sense, it was decided that all values exceeding the thousandth number level (e.g. MIRINDA STRUGURI SI PEPENE GALBEN 1400ML) must be reduced to a smaller word dimension (e.g. MIRINDA STRUGURI SI PEPENE GALBEN 1.4L – column Desired UM results), and other ones, with a large number of digits of UM (e.g. CHIO CHIPS DLGHT SARE 1250G), be converted to a smaller base of UM(CHIO CHIPS DLGHT SARE 1.25KG). The other values from the names of products, not exceeding the hundredth level (e.g. MIRINDA STRUGURI/PEPENE GALBEN 2L, CINI MINIS CEREALE CAPSUNI 500G, PASTA DINTI AQUAFRESH 3-5ANI 50ML etc. ), will keep their initial form. In case of products without UM (e.g. PACHET FUNERAR), they will be transposed in column Desired UM results keeping their original form of column A.

In a second phase, I need to extract separately in cells of column G that part of every converted name from column Desired UM results, showing only quantity and corresponding UM (e.g. 1.6KG, 1.5L etc.). Similarly, the cells of column G, corresponding to products without UM, will be blank. I would be very grateful if you could find a solution (formula, macro), to cover the needs from columns Desired UM results and column G.

Thank you!

Book2.xlsx
ABC
1Column ADesired UM resultsColumn Q
2Basic data content
3METRO CHEF MURATURI ASORTATE 1600GMETRO CHEF MURATURI ASORTATE 1.6KG1.6KG
4MIRINDA STRUGURI SI PEPENE GALBEN 1400MLMIRINDA STRUGURI SI PEPENE GALBEN 1.4L1.4L
5MIRINDA STRUGURI/PEPENE GALBEN 2LMIRINDA STRUGURI/PEPENE GALBEN 2L2L
6LIPTON ICE TEA GREEN WHITE PIERSICA 1.5LLIPTON ICE TEA GREEN WHITE PIERSICA 1.5L1.5L
7CHIO CHIPS DLGHT SARE 1250GCHIO CHIPS DLGHT SARE 1.25KG1.25KG
8FITNESS CEREALE FRUCTE 225GFITNESS CEREALE FRUCTE 225G225G
9SET 12PAHARE 1800MLSET 12PAHARE 1.8L1.8L
10SANOVITA FULGI DE OVAZ 1KGSANOVITA FULGI DE OVAZ 1KG1KG
11PACHET FUNERARPACHET FUNERARBLANK
12CINI MINIS CEREALE CAPSUNI 500GCINI MINIS CEREALE CAPSUNI 500G500G
13PASTA DINTI AQUAFRESH 3-5ANI 50MLPASTA DINTI AQUAFRESH 3-5ANI 50ML50ML
Sheet2

IMO, the best solution
Thank you for the answer. I was just looking for a possible solution, based on an wildcard substring. Considering the mentioned UMs (L, ML, G, KG, BUC), couldn't they make with the maximum 4 linked digits from the same substring a wildcard, defined by the syntax ****L/ML/KG/G/BUC ? It is separated by spaces from the other elements and could be clearly identified in this way within he string.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Max 4 wouldn't work, and I have no idea how any code could decide it is 4 characters or needs to be less or for that matter, even more. As evidenced by some of these rows, 0.275L would need to be 5, 80G would be 2.

ZAREA DACIC CIDRU AFINE 0.275L
SNICKERS INGHETATA CONE 70G/110ML
HAME PATE RATA 75G
RULADA 80g CU CIOCOLATA

If there is such a method that can be worked out it's beyond my capabilities I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back