Extract Data until reach Number in the string.

myexcel211

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,
I am rather new to excel and I would love to learn more. Using image below.

The data will be always in format below. Is there any formula that I can use to extract the data using LEFT function that would return any text from right until it sees the first numbers? In this case, I would like cell B1 to return Started in Industrial Age? Any suggestions, helps would greatly appreciate. Thank you!
1643166561909.png

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,

Although you say "data will always in format below", the Length of Text and/or numbers may vary.
I highly recommend showing at least a handful of possible different text strings for potential helpers to review.
And preferably using XL2BB, link to download and instructions in my signature.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You could try this. If this is not it then more samples as requested by jtakw please, together with the expected results.

22 01 26.xlsm
AB
1123 The United States History1 988 Started In Industrial AgeStarted In Industrial Age
Extract
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=TRIM(REPLACE(A1,1,LOOKUP(1,-MID(A1,ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1))),1),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1)))),""))

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi,

Although you say "data will always in format below", the Length of Text and/or numbers may vary.
I highly recommend showing at least a handful of possible different text strings for potential helpers to review.
And preferably using XL2BB, link to download and instructions in my signature.
Jtakw, thank you for pointing it out. Sorry for lack of more samples.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You could try this. If this is not it then more samples as requested by jtakw please, together with the expected results.

22 01 26.xlsm
AB
1123 The United States History1 988 Started In Industrial AgeStarted In Industrial Age
Extract
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=TRIM(REPLACE(A1,1,LOOKUP(1,-MID(A1,ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1))),1),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1)))),""))
Peter_SSs, thank you so very much! This is extremely complex formula. It works perfectly. I sure will study this! Thanks again!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back