extract leading numbers from a text string

Pauleastgrinstead

I only dip into Excel on an occasional basis and have had little experience of string handling. There are some very complicated functions out there! I need a formula to extract leading numbers from a text string into a new cell. There could be a variable number of leading numbers. Generally there will only be 1 or 2 leading numbers

Input Output
7K1 7
10X2 10

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I have just found on another thread the formula

=LOOKUP(2,1/--LEFT(A2,ROW($1:$3)),--LEFT(A2,ROW($1:$3)))

which works for up to 3 leading numbers.
would anyone care to explain how this works!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the message board!

Two different approaches come to mind. The first one is quick and dirty and only works when there's no more than 2 leading numbers. The second one is quite a bit more complex but should work with much longer leading numbers (and needs to be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter instead of just Enter).
Excel Workbook
AB
17k7
210X1010
Taul3

Both formulas return errors if there's no leading numbers.

Upvote 0
I am trying to convert the formula

=IFERROR(LEFT(A1,2)*1,LEFT(A1,1)*1) into a macro but am getting an error

so far I have written :
Public Function StudentYear(StudentForm As String) As String

Dim Year As String
Year = WorksheetFunction.IfError(Left(StudentForm, 2) * 1, Left(StudentForm, 1) * 1)
StudentYear = Year

End Function

This works for input data of format 77Y1, but not for 7Y1 (1 leading number) - I get a #VALUE! error.
Anybody help please?

Upvote 0
I am trying to convert the formula

=IFERROR(LEFT(A1,2)*1,LEFT(A1,1)*1) into a macro but am getting an error

so far I have written :
Actually, for the data structure used in the original post, neither posted formula solution works for all values. For example, they will both fail for this...

2E4ABC

This array-entered** formula would be the foolproof formula to use...

=LEFT(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISERROR(1*LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","X")&"X",ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,99)))),0)-1)

**Commit this formula using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just Enter by itself

Now, for a UDF solution (instead of a macro), there is no need to try and use any worksheet formula solutions.
Code:
Function LeadingNumber(S As String) As Double
  LeadingNumber = Val(Replace(Replace(S, "E", "X", , , 1), "D", "X", , , 1))
End Function

Upvote 0
Rick,
Thank you for the UDF. However I am very unfamiliar with the replace function as used here. Can you explain to me the significance of the "E" "X" and "D" "X". A full English explanation of what is going on in the UDF would be very much appreciated.
Paul

Upvote 0
Rick,
Thank you for the UDF. However I am very unfamiliar with the replace function as used here. Can you explain to me the significance of the "E" "X" and "D" "X". A full English explanation of what is going on in the UDF would be very much appreciated.
The Val function will return the leading number from a text string, which is what you requested... however, it has the same flaw that the other formula I mentioned does... it will see the E (upper or lower case) and, unlike the formulas, the D (upper or lower case) as a power of 10 indicator, so it would see 12e4abc as 12e4 which is 120000, not 12... so, what I do is use the Replace function to replace the E or D with an X which would change the 12e4abc example to 12X4abc... now Val only sees the 12. Inside each Replace function, you will see 3 commas and a 1... the commas are to skip over arguments of Replace that I do not want to change from their default, the 1 tells Replace to consider the text to be replaced (for your function, that is either the E or D) as either upper or lower case (so that e and d are also replaced.

Upvote 0
Brilliant Rick, I had just got to the point of realising that the E and D could be in numeric formats and cause a problem unless replaced.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back