FAST Complex Pricing Macro Routine Help

JerBearG

Hello world. I'd appreciate some help as I'm really not sure how to solve this complex problem in an efficient manner.

I need to find a fast way to price potentially hundreds of items. I know that loops will be the slowest thing in the world because of the sheer number of things that EACH ITEM must be parsed through. You'll know what I mean when I break down how complex this is. Thanks for your help in advance; I'm quite stumped.

Let's begin.

I'm am trying to write a macro that prices items in a quote.
Each item is priced based upon its weight (lbs) and thickness (inches). (certain ranges of thicknesses are more expensive than others)

A sample item is: (made up values)

Mark #GradePieces
Thickness
W
L
Weight
4343144w

<tbody>
</tbody>

Here is a sample pricing structure for just one grade (44w) (prices made up)
Note: I know this is an inefficient structure for a table (it's more for visual means), but I'm not sure how to go about making it more efficient though.

44w:
If Other similar Grade, Add
->
$ 5
THRUTHRUTHRUTHRU
Critera 1
$10
$12
$16
$13
$11
$8
$4
Criteria 2
$12
$14
$20
$15
$13
$10
$7
Low bracket
$14
$17
$24
$17
$16
$12
$10
High Bracket
$16
$21
$28
$20
$19
$15
$12

<colgroup><col span="6"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

How we price things is, first, you find which grade the item is (There are many more 'grade' tables like this, each with their own prices AND different "THRU" ranges). Then, you find which thickness column it lines up with, and then you match it to the criteria it meets (which price bracket or other criteria), and then where they intersect is the price we use.

I can't make all prices in one column based off one another either (% up and down).

I know this is a lot of work, even if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. It's just such a monster problem that I feel stumped and I don't know how to make this actually usable (fast).

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Sorry, missed the edit post timeout. In the intro I made an error:
Correction: Items are priced based upon Weight (lbs), thickness (inches) AND their Grade.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I think the big thing will be to put the data into a single cohesive pricing table. If you can do that then you might want to look into VLOOKUP & INDEX/MATCH.

Having your data in different places will just make it harder to put together.

Upvote 0
Mmmm. Good idea! Thanks for the tips.

Also, thanks for the time you spend helping people on this board. Your expertise is saving countless amateurs like me hundreds of hours and headaches with your simple tips. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back