Fill cells with text if cells in column have specific text string

basicallychels

I am trying to create something that will allow me to autofill the agency column with an Agency's name if the adjacent Facility Name cell contains a certain text string. So for example, if the Facility Name is Sacramento, Union City, Ventura, Fresno, Riverside, or Cypress I want to fill the adjacent Agency cell with VIC the PICC. But if the Facility Name is Glasgow, Louisville, Westlake, etc. I want to fill the adjacent Agency cell with Access RN. I have to do this each month, so if I could find something that would be easy to apply each month, like a macro, that would be awesome. I am just not sure what the best way to go about this is, since I have multiple agencies that go with multiple facilities.

AgencyFacility Name
VIC the PICCSACRAMENTO
HOUSTON

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have more than two agencies, I have 44 different agencies so unfortunately that won't work.

It can still be done, it certainly works better than doing it by manually each month.

=if(OR(A1="Sacramento",A1="Union City",A1="Ventura",A1="Fresno",A1="Riverside",A1="Cypress"),"VIC the PICC",IF(OR(A1="Glasgow", A1="Louisville", A1="Westlake")),"Access RN",IF(OR(A1="Portland", A1="Berlin", A1="Concord Warwick", A1="Greensurg")),"CIAs","")

You can keep repeating the IF(OR( until you get all your checks in.

Also you could do:

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$14,MATCH(E2,$B$2:$B$14,0)),"")

Place in D2 and drag/click to fill in all the facility names.

A
B
C
D
E
Agency_Types
Facility_Types
AgencyFacility Name
AccessRNBridgetonAccessRNAustin
AccessRNFridleyPICC ProsEl Paso
AccessRNLenexaVIC the PICCSacramento
PICC ProsAustinAccessRNFridley
PICC ProsEl PasoCIAsBerlin
PICC ProsHoustonetc
VIC the PICCSacramentoetc
VIC the PICCUnion Cityetc
VIC the PICCFresnoetc
CIAsPortlandetc
CIAsBerlinetc
QUICK PICCBrocktonetc
IV QUEENDaphneetc

<tbody>
</tbody>

If you want more Agency_Types / Facility_Types just manually add them in the Agency_Types / Facility_Types columns. If your agency/facility types remain pretty constant you shouldn't have to update or edit those fields once you've added them. Your actual data (Agency/Facility Name) will be automated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Is there a way to include an exception, like if there was a third column for contract type, could I have it says enter Vic the picc if its sacramento, union city, ventura, etc but not if C1=monthly?

Upvote 0
Below is my formula, however it keeps giving me and error at Vinton. Do you know what is wrong?

=IF(OR(A1="NEWARK", A1="GRAND RAPIDS", A1="MILWAUKEE", A1=”WARREN”),"ACCESS RN",IF(OR(A1="BIRMINGHAM"),”ALABAMA PICC ",IF(OR(A1="VINTON",A1="GREENSBORO",A1="SIMPSON"),”CAROLINA WELNESS",IF(OR(A1="GREENSBURG", A1="HERMITAGE"),"CIAs",IF(OR(A1="VIRGINIA BEACH"),”INFUSION CARE SERVICES OF VA",IF(OR(A1="WARWICK "),”INFUSION SUPPORT SYSTEMS",IF(OR(A1="BELTSVILLE", A1="EASLEY", A1="LARGO", A1="LONGWOOD", A1="SARASOTA",A1="SMYRNA",A1="TALLAHASSEE"),"INSTITUTE OF NURSING EXCELLENCE”,IF(OR(A1="CHARLESTON"), “INTRAVENOUS EXPERT CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="FRIDLEY"),"ITIVA",IF(OR(A1="FT LAUDERDALE"),"IV ACCESS",IF(OR(A1="KENT"),"IV NURSE CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="NEWARK", A1="KING OF PRUSSIA"),"IV QUEEN",IF(OR(A1="HARRISBURG",A1="WILKES BARRE”),"MAIN LINE IV",IF(OR(A1="DAPHNE ",A1="JACKSON",A1="MEMPHIS"),"MID SOUTH PICC ",IF(OR(A1="KNOXVILLE"),"NURSE PRO PLUS ",IF(OR(A1="SALT LAKE CITY", A1="BOISE"),"NURSING SERVICES, INC.",IF(OR(A1="WAILUKU ",A1="HILO",A1="HONOLULU",A1="KAUAI"),"P&A PICC, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="GRAND PRAIRIE "),"PICCs PLUS, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="HOUSTON "),"PICC VIC, INC ",IF(OR(A1="SAN ANTONIO "),"PICC VIC RN ",IF(OR(A1="SIOUX FALLS",A1="DES MOINES",A1="OMAHA"),"VASCULAR ACCESS PLUS",IF(OR(A1="SACRAMENTO",A1="UNION CITY",A1="VENTURA",A1="FRESNO",A1="RIVERSIDE",A1="CYPRESS", A1="EL PASO",A1="SAN DIEGO ",A1="SAN LUIS OBISPO ",A1="STOCKTON",A1="TUCSON", A1="ALBUQUERQUE",A1="BROOMFIELD",A1="COLORADO SPRINGS",A1="MOUNTAIN VIEW"),"VIC the PICC"

Upvote 0
You have a lot of different style quotes in there. ” needs to be "

Go to Find & Select -> Replace-> ” -> "

Upvote 0
It also is telling me, I have too many arguements

To many arguments would mean your Ifs went past the 3 criteria required (logical test, value_if_true, value_if_false). I removed the problematic quotes and didn't get any argument errors.

See if this works:

=IF(OR(A1="NEWARK",A1="GRAND RAPIDS",A1="MILWAUKEE",A1="WARREN"),"ACCESS RN",IF(OR(A1="BIRMINGHAM"),"ALABAMA PICC ",IF(OR(A1="VINTON",A1="GREENSBORO",A1="SIMPSON"),"CAROLINA WELNESS",IF(OR(A1="GREENSBURG",A1="HERMITAGE"),"CIAs",IF(OR(A1="VIRGINIA BEACH"),"INFUSION CARE SERVICES OF VA",IF(OR(A1="WARWICK "),"INFUSION SUPPORT SYSTEMS",IF(OR(A1="BELTSVILLE",A1="EASLEY",A1="LARGO",A1="LONGWOOD",A1="SARASOTA",A1="SMYRNA",A1="TALLAHASSEE"),"INSTITUTE OF NURSING EXCELLENCE",IF(OR(A1="CHARLESTON"),"INTRAVENOUS EXPERT CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="FRIDLEY"),"ITIVA",IF(OR(A1="FT LAUDERDALE"),"IV ACCESS",IF(OR(A1="KENT"),"IV NURSE CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="NEWARK",A1="KING OF PRUSSIA"),"IV QUEEN",IF(OR(A1="HARRISBURG",A1="WILKES BARRE"),"MAIN LINE IV",IF(OR(A1="DAPHNE ",A1="JACKSON",A1="MEMPHIS"),"MID SOUTH PICC ",IF(OR(A1="KNOXVILLE"),"NURSE PRO PLUS ",IF(OR(A1="SALT LAKE CITY",A1="BOISE"),"NURSING SERVICES, INC.",IF(OR(A1="WAILUKU ",A1="HILO",A1="HONOLULU",A1="KAUAI"),"P&A PICC, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="GRAND PRAIRIE "),"PICCs PLUS, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="HOUSTON "),"PICC VIC, INC ",IF(OR(A1="SAN ANTONIO "),"PICC VIC RN ",IF(OR(A1="SIOUX FALLS",A1="DES MOINES",A1="OMAHA"),"VASCULAR ACCESS PLUS",IF(OR(A1="SACRAMENTO",A1="UNION CITY",A1="VENTURA",A1="FRESNO",A1="RIVERSIDE",A1="CYPRESS",A1="EL PASO",A1="SAN DIEGO ",A1="SAN LUIS OBISPO ",A1="STOCKTON",A1="TUCSON",A1="ALBUQUERQUE",A1="BROOMFIELD",A1="COLORADO SPRINGS",A1="MOUNTAIN VIEW"),"VIC the PICC"))))))))))))))))))))))

Upvote 0
Before I saw your comment, I went ahead and did an index. However, I need to do two indexes in one cell because I need to use two different look up values. Can you help me make this work? It won't let me.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C$27:$C$545,MATCH(E2,Sheet1!$B$27:$B$545,0)),""),IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!E3:E32,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!D3:D32,0)),"")

To many arguments would mean your Ifs went past the 3 criteria required (logical test, value_if_true, value_if_false). I removed the problematic quotes and didn't get any argument errors.

See if this works:

=IF(OR(A1="NEWARK",A1="GRAND RAPIDS",A1="MILWAUKEE",A1="WARREN"),"ACCESS RN",IF(OR(A1="BIRMINGHAM"),"ALABAMA PICC ",IF(OR(A1="VINTON",A1="GREENSBORO",A1="SIMPSON"),"CAROLINA WELNESS",IF(OR(A1="GREENSBURG",A1="HERMITAGE"),"CIAs",IF(OR(A1="VIRGINIA BEACH"),"INFUSION CARE SERVICES OF VA",IF(OR(A1="WARWICK "),"INFUSION SUPPORT SYSTEMS",IF(OR(A1="BELTSVILLE",A1="EASLEY",A1="LARGO",A1="LONGWOOD",A1="SARASOTA",A1="SMYRNA",A1="TALLAHASSEE"),"INSTITUTE OF NURSING EXCELLENCE",IF(OR(A1="CHARLESTON"),"INTRAVENOUS EXPERT CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="FRIDLEY"),"ITIVA",IF(OR(A1="FT LAUDERDALE"),"IV ACCESS",IF(OR(A1="KENT"),"IV NURSE CONSULTANTS",IF(OR(A1="NEWARK",A1="KING OF PRUSSIA"),"IV QUEEN",IF(OR(A1="HARRISBURG",A1="WILKES BARRE"),"MAIN LINE IV",IF(OR(A1="DAPHNE ",A1="JACKSON",A1="MEMPHIS"),"MID SOUTH PICC ",IF(OR(A1="KNOXVILLE"),"NURSE PRO PLUS ",IF(OR(A1="SALT LAKE CITY",A1="BOISE"),"NURSING SERVICES, INC.",IF(OR(A1="WAILUKU ",A1="HILO",A1="HONOLULU",A1="KAUAI"),"P&A PICC, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="GRAND PRAIRIE "),"PICCs PLUS, LLC ",IF(OR(A1="HOUSTON "),"PICC VIC, INC ",IF(OR(A1="SAN ANTONIO "),"PICC VIC RN ",IF(OR(A1="SIOUX FALLS",A1="DES MOINES",A1="OMAHA"),"VASCULAR ACCESS PLUS",IF(OR(A1="SACRAMENTO",A1="UNION CITY",A1="VENTURA",A1="FRESNO",A1="RIVERSIDE",A1="CYPRESS",A1="EL PASO",A1="SAN DIEGO ",A1="SAN LUIS OBISPO ",A1="STOCKTON",A1="TUCSON",A1="ALBUQUERQUE",A1="BROOMFIELD",A1="COLORADO SPRINGS",A1="MOUNTAIN VIEW"),"VIC the PICC"))))))))))))))))))))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back