Fill in missing data based on another cell

Linh Le

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Hoping the community can help me with the following:

I have a list of company that have different product lines that i would like to assign a rating dummy variable "1" if it meets certain criterion, e.g., "High", "Above Ave.", etc...For some reasons certain company product line gets rated while others don't, i.e., Company E has 27 products but 8 of them don't have a rating whereas the other 19 has a rating of "Ave.".

This is part of the formula i'm using: IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,0))))))))

Question: Is there a formula to fill in the missing info based on the previous rating w/o either filter or manually type it in as i have 5000 rows to comb thru? Hoping the screenshot can provide more info.

Thank you,
Le

Attachments

• Screenshot.PNG
    Screenshot.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hello,

Hoping the community can help me with the following:

I have a list of company that have different product lines that i would like to assign a rating dummy variable "1" if it meets certain criterion, e.g., "High", "Above Ave.", etc...For some reasons certain company product line gets rated while others don't, i.e., Company E has 27 products but 8 of them don't have a rating whereas the other 19 has a rating of "Ave.".

This is part of the formula i'm using: IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,0))))))))

Question: Is there a formula to fill in the missing info based on the previous rating w/o either filter or manually type it in as i have 5000 rows to comb thru? Hoping the screenshot can provide more info.

Thank you,
Le
Your formula looks like it repeats itself about halfway through. Is that intentional? Are you able to create a lookup table somewhere to hold the Criteria and Ratings?

Upvote 0
Hi, yes. that's intentional because I also want to capture ratings marked "Q" that are assigned by a bot. I have not use lookup table before...

Upvote 0
Hi, yes. that's intentional because I also want to capture ratings marked "Q" that are assigned by a bot. I have not use lookup table before...
Rich (BB code):
IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,IF(Y65="High",1,IF(Y65="High^Q",1,IF(Y65="Above Average",1,IF(Y65="Above Average^Q",1,0))))))))

Doesn't make sense to me as you're checking for the same values twice. Anyway, with a lookup table, you can use XLOOKUP to pull the rating value based on the criteria value like so:

Book1
ABCDE
1CriteriaRatingResults
2High1High1
3High^Q1High^Q1
4Above Average1Average-
5Above Average^Q1Above Average1
6Above Average^Q1
7^Q-
Lookup Values
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:E7E2=XLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$A$5,$B$2:$B$5,"-")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back