Filter by Color not working

BarbaraPietersen

Hi
I am using Excel 2007 and suddenly I can no longer filter by color. The option is greyed out and so is the sort by Color option. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Thanks in advance.

Curious. Is it all columns of the workbook, or just certain ones?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I have tried on several columns - all the same
I have open a new sheet in the same workbook and tested - this works fine
This is not a shared workbook.
Yes - very curious! :confused:

Upvote 0
Can you remove the data and upload the file somewhere? Or email it?

Upvote 0
It remains a mystery, but I have found 1 column that the filter works.

Thanks to all for your efforts at helping. If there are any further suggestions, I would be most interested.

Many thanks
:)

Upvote 0
It remains a mystery, but I have found 1 column that the filter works.

Thanks to all for your efforts at helping. If there are any further suggestions, I would be most interested.

Many thanks
:)

Today I was having the same issue. I removed the filter from the document. Then highlighting the column I'm working in, i added the filter just for that column. With only the one column filtered I was able to filter by color.

Upvote 0
Today I was having the same issue. I removed the filter from the document. Then highlighting the column I'm working in, i added the filter just for that column. With only the one column filtered I was able to filter by color.

I too was having the same problem today, and when I chose only one column to filter, the filter by color was made available.
This must have something to do with the size of the file. Has anyone else come up with a plausible explanation ??

Upvote 0
Hello Excel Users:

I had the same problem under excel 2007. However, I have a data set of 30,000 rows. My first cell/row that is shaded is at the 21,459 row. When I tried to filter, I can't see the capability of filtering by color shading. To test out on your excel file, add color shading to the 10th cell/row in your workbook. Now try to filter by color. If you can filter by color, then your problem is the same as mine. Let me know how it works for you.

Upvote 0
Hello Excel Users:

I had the same problem under excel 2007. However, I have a data set of 30,000 rows. My first cell/row that is shaded is at the 21,459 row. When I tried to filter, I can't see the capability of filtering by color shading. To test out on your excel file, add color shading to the 10th cell/row in your workbook. Now try to filter by color. If you can filter by color, then your problem is the same as mine. Let me know how it works for you.

I had the same issue - not being able to filter even though I had colour cell. I added colour shading to first cell in list and the option came up - and cells in the file (even at 30,000 row) appeared. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hello,

I resolved this for someone in our organization. This is for sorting but the same should apply for filtering. It was working for the person and then stopped; I tested it on other machines and even recreated a section of the spreadsheet from scratch with same results; Size of the spd does not matter.

Here is what happened; this person was used to highlighting the spreadsheet then selecting Sort & filter, Custom Sort, change the 'Sort on' to Cell color and then selecting the cell color choice but now she is getting 'no cell color' in that drop down.

This is resolve by also selecting a column in the 'Sort by' field. Once that was done she now has her color choices back.

The reason for this is as follows. Before the issue she used the same color for the entire row; then she started to highlight certain fields within a row a different colour and all sudden Excel no longer knew what color to present as some of the rows within her selection had different colours. Selecting a specific column to sort on allowed it to determine the selection of colors again and then sort on that.

Hope this helps
G

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back