Filter PowerPivot/MDX Query

bauer24

Hi all,

I'm new to PowerPivot but have got as far as easily using a design interface that writes the necessary MDX query that then pulls my data.

My question: My query returns a large dataset with just one "metric" column (ROI Value). A lot of these rows have 0 for ROI Value, and so I don't really need them. How can I filter my query so only rows with ROI Value > 0 remain? I don't want to filter within PowerPivot, I want the query to return just non zero rows.

My current query is like so:

SELECT NON EMPTY { [Measures].[ROI Value] } ON COLUMNS, NON EMPTY { ([Advertiser].[Advertiser].[Advertiser].ALLMEMBERS ) } DIMENSION PROPERTIES MEMBER_CAPTION, MEMBER_UNIQUE_NAME ON ROWS FROM [HM_BI_CUBE]

I imagine it invloves changing the first bit SELECT NON EMPTY { [Measures].[ROI Value] }

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I'm out of my depth on this one - I learned PowerPivot so that I could avoid learning MDX :)

I must say though that in my experience, 90% of the time someone is importing data from a cube (into PowerPivot), they would be better off importing data from the underlying "flat" data sources that the cube is based on. Where "better off" means "you retain the richness of possibilities in PowerPivot," whereas importing from the cube starts you off at a much coarser level of detail.

There are certainly valid cases to import from a cube of course, but I always counsel my clients to consider the other possibility.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back