Find and Match Multiple Text

kumara_faith

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I have a list of notes keyed in by users in a system. I need to find if there is a match for the word "payment", "agent" and "approve". If all three words exist, then to return as True or else False. I tried the formula =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(things,A1)))>0, but this seems to only return if any one of the values is in the cell. An example of correct result is as below:

Book3
BC
3NotesResult
4Agent made payment on behalf of customer, approvedTRUE
5Online payment fail, agent payment approvedFALSE
Sheet1

Appreciate all the help.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Try changing >0 to =3

Also, your example is wrong, both are TRUE as per the specified criteria.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a list of notes keyed in by users in a system. I need to find if there is a match for the word "payment", "agent" and "approve". If all three words exist, then to return as True or else False. I tried the formula =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(things,A1)))>0, but this seems to only return if any one of the values is in the cell. An example of correct result is as below:

Book3
BC
3NotesResult
4Agent made payment on behalf of customer, approvedTRUE
5Online payment fail, agent payment approvedFALSE
Sheet1

Appreciate all the help.
Not understanding your desired output in row 5. All three words "agent", "approve", and "payment" exist, why is it FALSE?

Upvote 0
One more thing to consider is that it is possible for you to upper and lower case, so it's necessary to force your text in either lower or upper case.
Try this:
Book2
ABCDE
1NotesAGENTPAYMENTAPPROVEALL 3
2Agent made payment on behalf of customer, approvedTRUETRUETRUETRUE
3Online payment fail, agent payment approvedTRUETRUETRUETRUE
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B3B2=IF(ISNA(FIND("agent",LOWER($A2)))=FALSE,TRUE,FALSE)
C2:C3C2=IF(ISNA(FIND("payment",LOWER($A2)))=FALSE,TRUE,FALSE)
D2:D3D2=IF(ISNA(FIND("approve",LOWER($A2)))=FALSE,TRUE,FALSE)
E2:E3E2=IF(AND(B2=TRUE,C2=TRUE,D2=TRUE),TRUE,FALSE)

Upvote 0
try this

Book1
ABCD
1Agent made payment on behalf of customer, approvedTRUEpayment
2Online payment fail, agent paymentFALSEagent
3paymentFALSEapprove
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B3B1=IFERROR(IF(SUM(1/ISNUMBER(SEARCH($D$1:$D$3,A1)))=3,TRUE),FALSE)

Upvote 0
so it's necessary to force your text in either lower or upper case.
It is not necessary, the SEARCH function that they are already using ignores case. As I pointed out in post 2, it just needs a very simple change to the existing formula, everyone else just seems to be obsessed with cluttering the thread with pointless replies.

Upvote 0
It is not necessary, the SEARCH function that they are already using ignores case. As I pointed out in post 2, it just needs a very simple change to the existing formula, everyone else just seems to be obsessed with cluttering the thread with pointless replies.
With due respect, it's an open forum where people can offer different solutions to a problem. Admitted I did mix up between FIND and Search function where letter-casing matters. However, calling people's relies "pointless" is ignorant. What makes your solution the best solution? There might be someone who can offer a better solution than yours. We're here trying to help, not to make things more complicated. Please reframe from using such language in the future.

Upvote 0
The 'pointless' comment was mainly directed at your first reply which, although phrased differently, did nothing more than repeat what I had already said in post 2. Your follow up was 5 minutes later so you could have easily edited your previous reply instead of adding more clutter to the thread.

I'm not saying that my solution is the best solution, but at least it was a solution where as yours was merely an answer that gets there eventually.

Final point, although my response was far from diplomatic, there was nothing wrong with the language, and, as you are not a member of the site moderation or admin team, you have no authority to make any kind of demand in regard to my conduct. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
The 'pointless' comment was mainly directed at your first reply which, although phrased differently, did nothing more than repeat what I had already said in post 2. Your follow up was 5 minutes later so you could have easily edited your previous reply instead of adding more clutter to the thread.

I'm not saying that my solution is the best solution, but at least it was a solution where as yours was merely an answer that gets there eventually.

Final point, although my response was far from diplomatic, there was nothing wrong with the language, and, as you are not a member of the site moderation or admin team, you have no authority to make any kind of demand in regard to my conduct. Thanks for your input.
To your first point, your remark of "pointless cluttering" was a direct reply to my solution post.

To your second point, when I raise the point: "What makes your solution the best solution? There might be someone who can offer a better solution than yours." I was making a general statement, not necessarily specific to this thread.

To your final point, I was not making a "demand of any kind of demand in regard to [your] conduct." I was merely suggesting to improve the forum. If a member of the admin team needs to be involved in your conduct, then so be it.

Lastly, I will no longer be replying to this thread as I'm "obsessed with cluttering the thread with pointless replies." and this conversation deviates from the original purpose of the OP.

Upvote 0
To your first point, your remark of "pointless cluttering" was a direct reply to my solution post.
No, the first sentence highlighting the fact that it was not necessary to force case was a direct reply to your suggested answer (not solution, there is a difference).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back