Find index for item with maximum value and multiple criteria

Innoguide

Board Regular
I need to find the item in column A with the highest value in column B where the value in column C and column D also match certain criteria

Starting simply without the criteria I would use:

=index(A:A,match(max(B:B),B:B,0)

And to find a match for multiple criteria I would use:

=index(A:A,match(1,Criteria1=C:C)*(Criteria2=D:D),0))

Any suggestions for how I could combine them to find the value in column A that has the maximum result in column B and matches the criteria for the other 2 columns

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
CA_Punit's formula should work fine for most cases, but there is an exception. If a value on an unselected row matches the max value, it could be displayed instead. For example:

Book1
ABCDEFGH
1X93UnplannedCriteria 13
2A93PlannedCriteria 2Planned
3B13Planned
4r13Planned
5d143UnplannedXA
Sheet7
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G5G5=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MAX(IF(C:C=3,IF(D:D="Planned",B:B))),B:B,0))
H5H5=INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$1:$A$10)/($C$1:$C$10=G1)/($D$1:$D$10=G2)/($B$1:$B$10=AGGREGATE(14,6,($B$1:$B$10)/($C$1:$C$10=G1)/($D$1:$D$10=G2),1)),1))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a pain to fix that particular issue, see the H5 formula. If that won't be a problem, stick with the shorter formula.

Also note that I used actual row numbers in the ranges. It's usually a bad idea to use whole column references in array formulas for performance reasons. Pick a row number that will be higher than the maximum row of your data.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Strange, but it is throwing #N/A error for me in Excel 365. Shouldn't need the {} for dynamic arrays since 365 handle them natively but I've tried it both ways and it's a no-gp

Upvote 0
Genious @Eric W

If it was feasible for me i would have applied for internship under you, Everytime i see your post i learn something new.
Anyway i going through all your post and hopefully within 1 -2 year i will complete studying your posts.

Upvote 0
Sorry, Eric W - But your formula is delivering a #NUM error in Excel 365. Strange - it obviously works in your version. And now I see it is XL2BB not BBB

1594849830557.png

Upvote 0
Genious @Eric W

If it was feasible for me i would have applied for internship under you, Everytime i see your post i learn something new.
Anyway i going through all your post and hopefully within 1 -2 year i will complete studying your posts.
Good luck! That's how I got my start here. I thought I knew Excel pretty well, but I was stunned at what I didn't know. I kept looking at other posts and figuring out how everything worked, and now I'm passing on some of what I learned. Which is not to say I know it all now! I'm still learning new things!

Upvote 0
Sorry, Eric W - But your formula is delivering a #NUM error in Excel 365. Strange - it obviously works in your version. And now I see it is XL2BB not BBB

Your formula seems to be correct. The most obvious reason yours doesn't work is if the criteria in G1 and G2 don't match anything in column D. Since the 3's are on the right in both places, it seems they are defined as numbers. Does the "planned" in G2 match the planned in D3? It might have a hidden space or something. Enter =G2=D3 somewhere to see if Excel thinks they're a match.

Upvote 0
Awesome Eric W - it was a trailing space in "Planned"

Thanks for all your help!

And you too CA_Punit!

Upvote 0
Playing further, any thoughts on this
Book1
ABCDEFG
1Criteria 13
2Criteria 2Planned
3A9.003Unplanned
4B9.003PlannedResultB
5r1.003Planned
6d14.003Unplanned
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G4G4=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(1,(MAXIFS(B:B,C:C,G1, D:D,G2)=B:B)*(G1=C:C)*(G2=D:D),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back