Find name in column and copy to relevant worksheet

thedeadzeds

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys,

I have a list of data with a persons name in column N. For each person i have created a tab which is identical to their name in column N. Is there a way to filter by that person and copy all of the data to the relevant named tab as values. At the moment i am doing the below but there must be an easier way? Many thanks

Code:
Sub Copy_to_all_staff_sheets()

'Bethan
    Sheets("Bethan").Select
    Cells.Select
    Selection.ClearContents
    Sheets("Blue Allocated").Select
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A:$N").AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:= _
        "Bethan"
    Columns("A:N").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Bethan").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False

'Hannah
    Sheets("Hannah").Select
    Cells.Select
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A:$N").AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:= _
        "Hannah"
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Hannah").Select
    Range("A1").Select
End Sub

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi,
You could indeed loop through name

Code:
For each cell in Worksheets("[COLOR=#0000ff]Data[/COLOR]").Range("[COLOR=#0000cd]N2:N15[/COLOR]")
Sheets(cell.value).Select
    ActiveSheet.Cells.ClearContents
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A:$N").AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:= cell.value
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets(cell.value).Select
    Range("A1").Select
Next cell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

If you know for sure that all the names will have results (and that you have a sheet for every name you want to copy out), you could use this adaptation of your code below.

I've seen examples in the past on this site where code will look at your data and generate all the individual sheets - so you would start with only your one data sheet and not need to know which names are there. That code was probably much faster than what I'm providing below too... but if this is all you need then you could use it!

Edit: here is an example from one of the better Excel tutorial websites: https://contexturesblog.com/archives/2012/02/21/filter-excel-data-onto-multiple-sheets/
Edit2: a lot of answers between when I started and when I posted! ...the code in post #2 is the simplest but will run once per row; depending on the data set that might be fine but it could be doing an awful lot of unnecessary looping.

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Copy_to_all_staff_sheets()
'assume sheet1 has the data and the individual folks' sheets are in position 2,3
Dim i As Integer

Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'speeds up execution
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual 'speeds up execution

For i = 2 To 3
    'Bethan
    Sheets(i).Cells.ClearContents
    With Sheets("Blue Allocated")
        .AutoFilterMode = False
        .Range("$A:$N").AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:=Sheets(i).Name
        .Columns("A:N").Copy
        Sheets(i).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    End With
Next

Sheets("Blue Allocated").ShowAllData

Cleanup:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True 'revert to proper setting
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End Sub

Tai

Last edited:
Upvote 0
data set that might be fine but it could be doing an awful lot of unnecessary looping.

That depends on N2:n15. Can define last row dynamically

Since you ask for an easier way, I would put name in a table list, that is dynamic and easy to manage

That is not easier but I would personnally avoid those sheets filtering copy pasting by
Option1 : having the data in BlueAllocated (also in a table) spread in VBA Arrays (it is like creating a sheet in VBA) so I can print values. To me it is cleaner, more dynamic and quicker operations.
Option2 : one sheet with a drop down list (ActivX) of the employees and specific values appear on change, so the importation of the data is made for one person only when I change this value

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, your code loops 14 times and does the same operation 14 times, even if the names are all the same name in N2:N15. That was the basis of my comment; it is brute force and inefficient, but the end result will be right and it's very simple. I'm sure you could write something better if you wanted. I did - and Fluff already did even moreso in a different thread... and Debra did even moreso than that many years ago in the post I linked.

Cheers!

That depends on N2:n15. Can define last row dynamically

Since you ask for an easier way, I would put name in a table list, that is dynamic and easy to manage

That is not easier but I would personnally avoid those sheets filtering copy pasting by
Option1 : having the data in BlueAllocated (also in a table) spread in VBA Arrays (it is like creating a sheet in VBA) so I can print values. To me it is cleaner, more dynamic and quicker operations.
Option2 : one sheet with a drop down list (ActivX) of the employees and specific values appear on change, so the importation of the data is made for one person only when I change this value

Upvote 0
your code loops 14 times and does the same operation 14 times, even if the names are all the same name in N2:N15

It is in different color,to be adapted (as the name of the sheet "Data" which does not even exist), this is supposed to represent the fix list of employees (no duplicate) somewhere on a sheet in a column N .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back