Find stops working

sharpeye

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this question but hope there may be someone with ideas that might help.
The Find feature occationally stops working and its a pain when it happens.
I use it a lot and it works fine and then for some random reason that I dont know about it will return

We couldnt find what you were lookin for.

As soon as that happens it will literally not find anything, even a single character. I can get it working again but the only way is to close every worksheet I have open and restart excel which is a proper pain.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Im using 2019

thank you

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I noticed that you use macros.
When find stops working, have you checked all the parameters shown below to make sure they have been cleared.
Once used eg by a macro, they stick until you change them or close and restart excel.

1698365642465.png

Upvote 0
I noticed that you use macros.
When find stops working, have you checked all the parameters shown below to make sure they have been cleared.
Once used eg by a macro, they stick until you change them or close and restart excel

Upvote 0
Hi Alex, thanks for the reply.
I do use macros but they are not in use when find stops working. When I am using search, it works perfectly every time until it cant find something, the search is genuine and not a search for something that is not present in my worksheet and as soon as it fails to find what im searching for it is game over and restart and then it works again fine.
I have gone into the options which souldnt have changed anyway but theres nothing in there that souldnt be. Its just odd

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas for you.
Does it only happen in the one workbook ?
If so is it an xlsm workbook ?
Do you have any add-ins turned on ?

Grasping at straws, if you copy this into the immediate window and hit enter to run it, does it kick start it ?
VBA Code:
Application.FindFormat.Clear: ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Find(what:="*", lookat:=xlPart, SearchFormat:=False, MatchCase:=False).Select

Upvote 0
Hey Alex
Im still not sure why its happeneing but I just found something that seems to get it working again.
So I use copy from one worksheet and paste it in find to use in another worksheet. It usually works for most searches but when it does stop working I can go into the options as you posted in your picture and I can then use the drop down arrow by the search box and select a previous entry which then seems to make it work again.
Seems very strange !!!!

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the update. Unless my previous post shed any light on the subject I am afraid I don't have an answer.
You could try repairing or reinstalling Excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Unless my previous post shed any light on the subject I am afraid I don't have an answer.
You could try repairing or reinstalling Excel

I think now that I've found a solution I'll run with it for now, is a lot less time consuming than saving everything and restarting.
Thanks for getting involved I do appreciate it =)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back