Find text across row 1 and highlight those columns

Bret1

Board Regular
Is there a way I can search a selected area for text containing ":50" in row 1 and have it highlight each full column that contains it so I can then delete all those columns and shift to the left?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Create conditional formatting.

- First select the columns, for example, columns A to E.
- On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Conditional formatting > New Rule
- In the New Formatting Rule window, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format
- Enter the formula in the corresponding box.

Excel Formula:
=FIND(":50",A$1)
(Change the letter A to the letter of the first column you selected, that is, if you selected columns F to M, then change A to F. In my example I am selecting columns A to E.

- Click the Format… button to choose your custom format.

- Press OK twice.

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Do you really need the whole column Highlighted since you are going to delete it anyway? Wouldn't just highlighting the cell in row 1 be sufficient?

Are those values with :50 in row 1 text values or time values (numbers)?

Upvote 0

- In the New Formatting Rule window, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format

Excel Formula:
(Change the letter A to the letter of the first column you selected, that is, if you selected columns F to M, then change A to F. In my example I am selecting columns A to E.

- Press OK twice.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just a word of warning. If you use that whole column approach your sheet performance could be impacted. Conditional formatting is volatile (in fact super-volatile as described here)
Suppose the you applied that CF to say 12 columns, 2 of which are then deleted because they are highlighted. That means 10 columns containing almost 10.5 million super-volatile cells remain, doing absolutely nothing for you other than continuously using calculation resources.

So at least if you use that approach, I suggest after deleting the unwanted columns remove the conditional formatting from the remaining columns.

This is why I questioned highlighting entire columns. Just highlighting the :50 cells in row 1 would do the same job of identifying the columns to delete and if the CF remained in just 10 single cells in row 1 instead of over 10 million cells, there would be no impact at all. :)

Also, please update your version details as requested above.

Upvote 0

Excel Formula:

- Press OK twice.
Thanks for your suggestion! That was a great idea and I think that would have worked, but I don't think I described what I want to do correctly. I don't want to "highlight" the columns, I want it to "select" the columns so I can then manually right click and delete them. I have a ton of data that I want to reduce. I've collected data every 10 minutes every day for over a year. Each column is time and date stamped across row 1. The actual time is copied over as text for each column of data. I want to delete all the columns except on the ":00" and ":30".... So, I want it to select all the columns that have ":50" within row 1, then delete all of those columns (and shift to left to close the gaps), then do the same for ":40", ":20", ":10". I can easily select the columns all manually, but that is a lot of columns to select and will take a lot of time. Currently all the data columns range from column X to MTB with x:00, x:10, x:20, x:30, x:40, x:50 for 8 hours each day. I want to delete all but the x:00 and x:30 for each hour each day for the past year+.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Run this macro to select columns with :10, :20, :40, :50, that is, all except :00 and :30

VBA Code:
Sub selectcolumns()
  Dim j As Long
  Dim rng As Range
  For j = 1 To Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(1).Column
    If Not (Cells(1, j).Value Like "*:00*" Or Cells(1, j).Value Like "*:30*") Then
      If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Cells(1, j) Else Set rng = Union(rng, Cells(1, j))
    End If
  Next
  If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireColumn.Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Another thing..... The values in row 1 are formatted as "Time" Values", not "Numbers"....... example: "9/20/2023 11:00:09 AM" shown in cell as: "11:00:09 AM"

Upvote 0
In any case Try this macro:

VBA Code:
Sub selectcolumns()
  Dim j As Long
  Dim rng As Range
  For j = 1 To Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(1).Column
    If Not (Cells(1, j).Text Like "*:00*" Or Cells(1, j).Text Like "*:30*") Then
      If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Cells(1, j) Else Set rng = Union(rng, Cells(1, j))
    End If
  Next
  If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireColumn.Select
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back