Finding a Column Number in an array

xBax

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm trying to find a solution for an excel function in which I need to locate the column number based on a specific value match within an array. Normally I would use the Index Match function but the tricky thing is that within the array, the same value can appear in multiple rows and I have to find first identify the specific row number and then the specific column number based on two different identifying values. I do have a match function created to locate the specific row but wasn't sure how to then combine that in a function to then locate the column number of a specific value in that same row. In total I have 20 rows and 10 columns with similar values in each row but all of the values within a single row are unique.

As an example, In row 2 I have values of 0,2,1,00 and in row 3 I have values of 1,3,0,2. I have first created a Match function to identify that I need to look in row 3 but how can I come up with a function to say find the column number in row 3 that contains the value of 2 (which would be column 4). The function has to be able though to be dynamic and sometimes will need to look in row 2 or row 5 depending on the criteria.

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back