Finding entries that first appear only after a certain date

shredr

Good afternoon...I have a sheet that lists part numbers and orders going back about 10 years or so...probably about 40000 rows

I need to figure out how many new parts appear per year, along with a list of what they are.
Ideally, I'd like to filter by date (say 2022) and get a list of items that were new that year

This is what my columns are:
1714078803939.png

(Everything in the cells is just data, the only oddball is columnA that catconcates Cols B& D)

Not sure what the simplest way to do this would be...haven't seen anything yet that gets me there.

Thanks for any & all suggestions!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
what version of excel are you using? what column has the part number? I'm guessing the date to filter is column H? Can you provide some examples of expected results?

Upvote 0
what version of excel are you using? what column has the part number? I'm guessing the date to filter is column H? Can you provide some examples of expected results?
working with Excel365

Column F has the p/n
Column H is the date

Ideally if I filter is for say 2022 in ColH, the result would give me any p/n that was produced for the first time that year

I have some new overlords who are requesting how many new parts were introduced over the last 10 years, broken down by year, with a list of p/n and description

results something like this? doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a list I can paste into a report

1714132784287.png

(and I'm guess a "Go Hoos" is in order by you handle? My daughter's graduating from there in a couple weeks...)

Upvote 0
You're the first to figure that out.! Or least inquire about it. The desired handle was already taken, so I just said, okay backwards will do.
Congrats to your daughter. I was able to go there when it was just a tad less difficult (being very facetious, I would not get in to many good colleges today with my scores from way back then) to get in. My son with a 4.0 was not accepted (his SAT was not quite 1400).

Regarding your question, I just want to confirm, you would not want to see washers in a new parts list of 2023, is that correct?

Upvote 0
Using your column layout from Post #1 (P/N in column F): try adding a helper column, say column X, placing the following formula in cell X2 and drag-copying it down as needed.
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIFS($F$2:F2,F2)=1,"New","")
Next, filter your data by date (column H) and by "New" (column X).

Upvote 0
Using your column layout from Post #1 (P/N in column F): try adding a helper column, say column X, placing the following formula in cell X2 and drag-copying it down as needed.
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIFS($F$2:F2,F2)=1,"New","")
Next, filter your data by date (column H) and by "New" (column X).
That's perfect, super easy!

Upvote 0
You're the first to figure that out.! Or least inquire about it. The desired handle was already taken, so I just said, okay backwards will do.
Congrats to your daughter. I was able to go there when it was just a tad less difficult (being very facetious, I would not get in to many good colleges today with my scores from way back then) to get in. My son with a 4.0 was not accepted (his SAT was not quite 1400).

Regarding your question, I just want to confirm, you would not want to see washers in a new parts list of 2023, is that correct?
Correct, would not want to see washers in 2023 listing...

Thank you, it was perfect place for for her...totally self driven, getting a BS in Bio, 3.9gpa (sorry for the humble brag!) Waffling on work or MCAT/med school...
We really enjoy visiting C'ville, sharp group of kids there.

My wife is a HS guidance counselor at a very good public school. The stories she comes home with are bananas, the admissions process has no rhyme or reason anymore. Hopefully your son landed someplace that he likes and is a good fit. I think that's the biggest thing as opposed to the 'brand'

Upvote 0
Glad to have helped.
actually now that I'm playing around it, if I filter by year, it ignores the previous years...

I think this sol'n requires keeping all dates open (no filtering original table) to get the list of new parts, then pasting results into a new table and filtering teh new table by year.
Is that on target?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back