Finding the Percentage of two compounds made up of different ratios of two variables

Frosty1419

Hello all,

I am trying to find a simple way to calculate the Percentage of two compounds made up of different ratio's of two variables.

So for example, I am given an amount of A and B and would like to calculate how much of the compound AB2 (0.87 ratio of A to B2) and the compound AB (1.74 ratio of A to B) would be necessary to use up all of the given A and B.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hello all,

I am trying to find a simple way to calculate the Percentage of two compounds made up of different ratio's of two variables.

So for example, I am given an amount of A and B and would like to calculate how much of the compound AB2 (0.87 ratio of A to B2) and the compound AB (1.74 ratio of A to B) would be necessary to use up all of the given A and B.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You could use =MIN(quantity_of_A/ratio_of_A, quantity_of_b/ratio_of_B)

So if you have 12 A and 15 B, and the ratio of A used to B is 0.87 A to 1 B:

=MIN( 12 / 0.87, 15 / 1 )
=MIN( 13.793... , 15)
=13.793...

This means you used up 13.793...*0.87 of A and 13.793... * 1 of B, so the A ran out first (as 13.793...*0.87 = 10) and you have 15 - (13.793...*1) B left.

Does that help?

Upvote 0
Mackers

Thanks for your help! When I tried this for a few examples the totals did not add up to the original amounts of A and B at the end. Since one ratio is less than 1 and one ratio is greater than one, there must be a perfect ratio between the two that will utilize all of A and B. Using just one or the other will result in the other ratio not being maintained at the end.

Upvote 0
Oh, what you want is a combination of your two compounds that will fully use up both A and B, right?

Note that this is not always possible, for example trivially if you have 0 A and 10 B and both combos use both A and B you will not be able to devise a way to solve this.

What you need is to determine the ratio of A to B you are given, then determine the ratio of A and B used by each of the compounds, then determine the best mid-point, right? That is more a maths question than an Excel one, but shouldn't be too hard to work out.

Upvote 0
Yes that the idea and you're right about it not being always possible.

I just didn't know if there were any functions in excel that would facilitate finding the "ratio of the ratio's" if you will.

If there's nothing special in excel I will just work out the math to get there.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hmoh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back