thestones757

Hey guys, I am trying to motivate myself in anyway possible, I figured by creating an excel sheet and seeing some statistics might help, worth a shot.

I would post a screen shot but it is way too hard. Anyways, I have a tab for data where I have a column with each date for the remainder of the year, other columns for the corresponding month, week, and day numbers (I thought would be useful for future analysis). Along with this I have different columns with one being miscellaneous sports where I enter Basketball, Baseball, Football, etc. Now under the anylsis tab I want to count how many times I play each sport for each month. So I have set up a table with the remaining months of the year and inserted columns with the miscellaneous sports titles.

If I was trying to count numbers it would be easier, but I have to incorporate some type of COUNT statement in order to count the number of times the data table both has the specific month and also the specific sport in the particular heading.

I have looked up a lot of info on this issue and have come up with the following attempt:

=COUNT(IF(Data!$E$3:$E$204="*"&L$2&"*",IF(Data!$B$3:$B$204=B4,Data!$E$3:$E$204)))

Data is the data table:
E column of the Data table is the "Sport" (previously referenced as miscellaneous sports)
B column of the Data table is the "Month"

Analysis is the analysis table:
B4 is the month being analyzed
L2 is the sport being counted

this does not do what I want it to. I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do? I think the solution is multiplying "TRUE" and "FALSE" (1 and 0) statements together so that unless both statements are true the count will be 0 but I am not sure how to set it up. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
It did not work, but I think that is a great idea, something must be off with the arrays for the SUMPRODUCT though is there another way that you can incorporate the two conditions?

Upvote 0
It did not work, but I think that is a great idea, something must be off with the arrays for the SUMPRODUCT though is there another way that you can incorporate the two conditions?

Would you...

a) Stipulate the ranges;
b) Stipulate the conditions that must hold for the ranges in (a)?

Upvote 0
I think you had the right idea but:

1) Data!$E$3:$E$204="*"&L$2&"*"
or
Data!$E$3:$E$204="Basketball" (for Basketball)

2) Data!$B$3:$B$204=B4
or
Data!$B$3:$B$204=6 (for June)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I think you had the right idea but:

1) Data!$E$3:$E$204="*"&L$2&"*"
or
Data!$E$3:$E$204="Basketball" (for Basketball)

2) Data!$B$3:$B$204=B4
or
Data!$B$3:$B$204=6 (for June)

Thanks!

If Basketball does also occur as part of a string in Data!$E$3:$E$204 and
Data!$B$3:$B$204 houses month numbers (not month names) with B4 = 6...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Data!$B$3:$B$204=B4),--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(L$2,Data!$E$3:$E$204)))

would be appropriate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back