For Inventory purposes, limiting barcodes to 25 characters, wondering if

JEFF HOOVER

For Inventory purposes, an outside Inventory counting service is limiting manufacture existing barcodes to 25 characters, wondering if any amount of numbers could be left off for the sake of the inventory counting companies equipment. I understand that all UPC are unique to themselves, just hoping to find a solution for astronomically large numbers assigned by European companies.

Previous counting companies have successfully omitted part of the numeric sequence and then reattached after the count. Since we no longer use this specific counting company I am at a loss for an answer from them on this.

Is it truthfully possible to reattach numeric values, "matching up" to the original sequence.

I understand this is probably an odd request/question I just wanted to pose it here for the sake of talk and to hopefully find a solution.

If there is anything further I can add please let me know. Thanks
<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
HI Jeff
I have had some seen this before, it normally happens when companies decide to add criteria like weight and year to their bar codes, you only need the EAN or IAN, which is normally 13 digit (12 data and 1 check digit), i suspect the counting company has just programmed their scanner to pick up this number, then link to their own ref number, then when their finish, its fairly easy to compile the data back to the original format,

example
This would be the bar code on the product, but you really only need the below, which would be the EAN or IAN, this extra digits can be at the front or the end of the code, so if you know which, you can set the scanner to start at the beginning or at a selected digit number, you will find this information in your scanner hand book, probably under EAN codes

Hope this helps with your issue
Regards
Pup

I also would have thought if you contact your part master team, their will already have this information, because if their didn't and you scan out going orders, you wouldn't be able to send them out, as none of the codes would match.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miahr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back