For Loop

riedyp

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I am writing a code that has a For loop so that it will check rows 8 to 40 in column 18 of worksheet"DFM Example ". If a question has a red or yellow status there will be a value of 2 or 3 in column column 18.
If there is a 2 or 3 in column 18 then it will select an empty cell in "Project -Action Deck" . It will add the question number in into that cell and the one next to it.
My issue is that my code is not going through the For Loop.
I get an Error on the line under the "If" that states "Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 3).Select".
But I have gotten it to surpass this error and my loop will not make it past the first or second iteration.

Attachments

• DFM - Example.PNG
    DFM - Example.PNG
    58.3 KB · Views: 8
  • actiondeck2.PNG
    actiondeck2.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 9
  • error.PNG
    error.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
The error suggests that EmptyRow hasn't been assigned a value correctly.

If Worksheets("Project - Action Deck") is not the ActiveSheet, you'll also need to activate the sheet before you can select a cell.

But you probably don't need to be using .Select at all. Can you post your code?

Upvote 0
Sorry about that. here is the code.

VBA Code:
Private Sub ActionDeck()
 'Finds the empty row in column C
Dim X As Integer
For X = 8 To 40 Step 1
EmptyRow = Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(1000, 3).End(xlUp).Row + 1
If Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 18) = 2 Or Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 18) = 3 Then
Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 3).Select
    ActiveCell.Value = Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(13, 1).Value
Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 4).Select
    ActiveCell.Value = Worksheets("DFM-Example").Name
Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 19) = Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 2)

End If
Next X
End Sub

Upvote 0
Does this work any better?
VBA Code:
Private Sub ActionDeck()
Dim X As Long

For X = 8 To 40

'Finds the empty row in column C
        EmptyRow = Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row + 1

If Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 18) = 2 Or Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 18) = 3 Then
            Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 3).Value = Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(13, 1).Value
            Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 4).Value = "DFM-Example"
            Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(X, 19) = Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 2)
        End If
    Next X

End Sub

P.S. Is it always the value from A13 on 'DFM-Example' you want to put in the next empty row in column C on 'Project - Action Deck'?

Upvote 0
Yes that works better. As for your question the answer is no, I would like this to to be checked for every row with a question, so rows 8,13,15,17,29 and 32. Realistically if I could just have it check every row from 8 to 50.

Also,
Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 3).Value = Worksheets("DFM-Example").Cells(13, 1).Value
Worksheets("Project - Action Deck").Cells(EmptyRow, 4).Value = "DFM-Example"
For some reason after each one of these lines is run it pulls up a code in a different code(see picture) do you see any reason why that may be?

Attachments

• messup.PNG
    messup.PNG
    43.2 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
As it is the code will check every row from 8 to 40.

If you actually want to check specific rows within that range I think we'll need more information, for example how can we identify if a row has a question?

As for that code triggering the Calculate event it must be because the code itself triggers calculation of the sheet.

If you don't want that to happen you could set calculation to manual while the code runs and then set it back to automatic afterwards.

However you should only really do that if the code in the Calculate event is actually causing problems.

Upvote 0
Okay thank you.
"P.S. Is it always the value from A13 on 'DFM-Example' you want to put in the next empty row in column C on 'Project - Action Deck'? "
To answer the above, I do not always want it to equal A13.
If R8 would be equal to 2 or 3 I would want "1)" to appear in "Project Actiondeck"
If R13 would be equal to 2 or 3 I would want "2)" to appear in "Project Actiondeck"
If R15 would be equal to 2 or 3 I would want "3)" to appear in "Project Actiondeck"

and so on, so im wondering how i should edit my code for that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppellatePerson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back