Forecasting Average Monthly Growth Rates

H7H12

Hi there, I have a simple forecasting query that I'm struggling to solve. Hoping you can help! I wish to forecast a target monthly growth rate, based on 12 months worth of data, for example:

Date|Visits
Dec-11|1000
Jan-12|1200
Feb-12|900
Mar-12|800
Apr-12|900
May-12|1000
Jun-12|720
Jul-12|450
Aug-12|230
Sep-12|101
Oct-12|156
Nov-12|1000
Dec-12|2031

The method I have tried so far are (if Jan-12 is A3, Visits amount Jan-12 is B3 and Dec-11 are A2 & B3 respectively):

B3-B2/ABS(B2)

Performing this calculation for all months then averaging the results.

I am concerned I am not forecasting a target growth rate in the optimum way. I have experimented with using Excel's more advanced forecasting, but I'm not sure such detail is necessary. I simply want to be able to say 'aim for a 2% growth rate', for example.

Any input you can offer would be much appreciated. I am on Windows XP using Excel 2007.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
your data is very erratic. You could plot the same visits each month with a 2% increase in each month. The average is a little over 800 visits a month but it's hard to say if it would be meaningful to project that number for each month - maybe just look at that as a target for the final YTD number. I don't see growth month to month as helping you here - given how it goes way up and way down depending on the month it won't be very useful for projections unless you have reason to think that the monthly variation repeats each year in a consistent way (seasonality).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back