Format entire row ??

cjw1211

I need to conditionally format all font in an entire row across the whole spreedsheet. This is based off a single cell for each row that will contain several different possible entries.

the font should stay red when any data other than a date is entered and change to black when a date is entered. This is to indicate visually a complete (when date is entered) and pending when any other value is entered.

As I said, in Excel dates really are numbers, so you are going to have to put some thought in to this.

Will you have some numeric non-date numbers in these columns you will be looking at (i.e. column G)?
If so, what do they look like?
What is the absolute smallest and largest numbers that they may be?

Likewise, for your dates in this column, can you tell us what the absolute smallest/largest values of these dates may be?

If there is not overlap between the possible number and date values, we should be able to do this. But if you want us to help you with that, you are going to have to provide those details I am asking for.

will only ever be a date value such as 12/21/15. and will be from 01/01/15 - 21/31/15 and every year to follow

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
OK. Let's give it a ten year window, i.e. our date must be between 1/1/2015 and 12/31/2024.
Then our formula can look like:
Code:
=AND($G1 > =DATEVALUE("1/1/2015"),$G1<=DATEVALUE("12/31/2024"))

Upvote 0
OK. Let's give it a ten year window, i.e. our date must be between 1/1/2015 and 12/31/2024.
Then our formula can look like:
Code:
=AND($G1 > =DATEVALUE("1/1/2015"),$G1<=DATEVALUE("12/31/2024"))

when I copy and paste this into my conditional rule, I get the error message that my formula contains an error...

is this the only way? considering the simple little formula

=$G1="____"

works like a charm.

just seems like there should be an easy simple way to have excel check a column for " a number" any number, and return TRUE so it changes, FALSE so it doesn't

Upvote 0
Just remove two the spaces in the middle of my formula (around the greater than sign).
I just put them in there, else the forum confuses it for HTML code and truncates the formula.

just seems like there should be an easy simple way to have excel check a column for " a number" any number, and return TRUE so it changes, FALSE so it doesn't
There is, but I thought you said that there may be other "numbers" that you want to differentiate from dates. If not, you could just use:
Code:
=ISNUMBER($G1)

Upvote 0
Just remove two the spaces in the middle of my formula (around the greater than sign).
I just put them in there, else the forum confuses it for HTML code and truncates the formula.

There is, but I thought you said that there may be other "numbers" that you want to differentiate from dates. If not, you could just use:
Code:
=ISNUMBER($G1)

Thanks Joe, ISNUMBER worked just like I wanted!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ykrcory

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back