formula for calculating budget variances

anaguiu

I am trying to develop a formula that will calculate favorable /(unfavorable) variances between actual and budget, but both my income and expense amounts are positive. The following formula works for income items, but expenses should show unfavorable variances and they come out positive.

=IF(AND(B3>0,C3>0),B3-C3,(IF(AND(B3<0,C3<0),B3-C3,(IF(OR(B3>0,C3>0),C3-B3)))))

column B is actual and column C is budget

I know I could modify the formulas for each line item, but I'm trying to use the same formula that will work for all line items regardless of whether they are income or expense.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there possibly VBA code that will do this?

I wish Excel had built in Accounting functions, but it only has Financial functions ... :( Here's a clue Mr. Gates, accountants use Excel too!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
If you but both income and expenses in the same column, and both are positive, then you must provide Excel a means of recognizing which is which. How do you do that? Note that if expenses were in a Debit column, and income in a Credit column, as I thought was the norm for accountants, that would be the way to solve your problem!

Upvote 0
well ... my spreadsheet is not in ledger format...it's in P&L Statement format, so no...the numbers are not in debit and credit columns. But it would be nice if you could somehow tag certain line items in the spreadsheet as expense items and then have a function that would recognize that and calculate the correct variance.

Upvote 0
Sure, but not without knowing how that "tagging" is done. I am sending you a PM.

Upvote 0
anaguiu:

Without some additional information, you cannot use the same formula for income and expenses because the computer will not know how to differentiate between the two.

What you have to do is insert another column. Identify each line item as an Income or Expense. So in this column you could put an "I" or an "E".

In the column that you determine the differential between actual and budget, you can then put in your formula to test if this is an I or an E and multiply the answer by 1 or -1 accordingly.

That'll get you the correct sign on your differential and then you can sum that up to get your overall net income differential.

Upvote 0
a little late from the post date, but I used this formula with my i/e identifier in column A, Actuals in Column B, and Budget in Column C:

=IF(AND($A1="I",$C1>$B1),($B1-$C1),IF(AND($A1="I",$C1<$B1),($B1-$C1),IF(AND($A1="E",$C1>$B1),($B1-$C1)*(-1),IF(AND($A1="E",$C1<$B1),$C1-$B1,IF(ROUND($C1,2)=ROUND($B1,2),"0","")))))

Hopefully this helps future users. :p

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back