Formula returning incorrect results

Chris_010101

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Apologies but my work won't allow XL2BB for security reasons.

1684839628884.png

The formula in column G is:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(SUM(F9-C9)/F9, "")

This returns a percentage increase or decrease between the figures in columns F and C.

However, the exact same formula in column J:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(SUM(I9-F9)/I9, "")

Which is supposed to return a percentage increase or decrease between the figures in columns I and F, returns incorrect values in all the rows.

The figures are custom formatted as follows: 0.00% "increase";0.00% "decrease";- but removing this doesn't change the result.

I'm stumped, can anyone help?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Everything looks to be working correctly to me. Note that the formula in column J is NOT exactly the same as the formula in column G.
Column G is looking at columns F and C, with column J is looking at columns I and F.

If things are not working the way you expect, please tell us that your expected value for cell G9 is, and explain the logic on how you get there.

Also, the SUM function in your formula serves no purpose whatsoever. The SUM function is used to sum (add up) a range of cells. It serves no purpose in simple subtraction and is not necessary.
Just use:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((F9-C9)/F9, "")
or
Excel Formula:
=IF(F9=0,"",(F9-C9)/F9)

Upvote 0
I'm assuming, based on the column headings, that the desired formulas are:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((F9-C9)/C9, "")
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((I9-F9)/F9, "")
Then the percentage basis is taken relative to the previous year, not the current year.

Upvote 0
Solution
Everything looks to be working correctly to me. Note that the formula in column J is NOT exactly the same as the formula in column G.
Column G is looking at columns F and C, with column J is looking at columns I and F.

If things are not working the way you expect, please tell us that your expected value for cell G9 is, and explain the logic on how you get there.

Also, the SUM function in your formula serves no purpose whatsoever. The SUM function is used to sum (add up) a range of cells. It serves no purpose in simple subtraction and is not necessary.
Just use:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((F9-C9)/F9, "")
or
Excel Formula:
=IF(F9=0,"",(F9-C9)/F9)
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your quick response. When I said exactly the same, I meant it is referencing this year vs last year's figures.

I would expect, for example, the figure in J13 to return "50% decrease" (as 7 is 50% of 14).

Upvote 0
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your quick response. When I said exactly the same, I meant it is referencing this year vs last year's figures.

I would expect, for example, the figure in J13 to return "50% decrease" (as 7 is 50% of 14).
Then look at Krice's response -- you are dividing by the wrong value!
It is not always a matter of just copying formulas from other columns - it is important to understand what you want to accomplish, and logically how the formulas want to be written.
The basis you want to use is always the number you will need to use in your divisor.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming, based on the column headings, that the desired formulas are:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((F9-C9)/C9, "")
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR((I9-F9)/F9, "")
Then the percentage basis is taken relative to the previous year, not the current year.
That's the trick! Looks like a combination of bad maths on my part and incorrect combination.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Then look at Krice's response -- you are dividing by the wrong value!
It is not always a matter of just copying formulas from other columns - it is important to understand what you want to accomplish, and logically how the formulas want to be written.
The basis you want to use is always the number you will need to use in your divisor.
Agreed, incorrect combination (and bad maths on my part!)

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back