Formula to count time in MS Excel 2010

55iis

Hello I'm new there so straight to the point of my problem. I have to make an table like this one:
exercise_nr
time
E1
E2
E3
E4
E5
E6
E7
total time:
???

<tbody>
</tbody>

So, in time section my numbers should be in HH:MM format, but when I do so via custom & choose such type (format cells -> number -> custom -> hh:mm), then type any number & it brings date in front of this & shows 00:00 (f.e. I type 7 and ENTER - I get the result of 1900.01.07 00:00:00 instead). I don't understand what's the problem since i've chose HH:MM format.

Other part, I need to create formula to count total time I spend doing exercises. But it's not the regular one - if sum of hours is over 24 it should show up as days & if it's over 30 days - as months (if less than 24 hours then as hours tho). I come up with something like this - IF(SUM(C3:C9)>720;SUM(C3:C9)/720;IF(SUM(C3:C9)<24;SUM(C3:C9);SUM(C3:C9)/24)) but it's not anywhere close to be a good one. Can someone help on this, is it possible to change format once it goes over 24 hours and make it regular number (not HH:MM) & so on.

I'm using Excel 2010, although I would need to put same formula into google docs excel. :(

but what about zero, what does it give me and why it's doin' nothing for me? (in 0;1;30) :D

If the sum of your times is less than 1 (i.e. less than a day) then the largest value in the lookup_vector {0,1,30} that is less than or equal to the lookup_value (the sum of times) is zero - so "hh:mm" is passed to TEXT() function to display the results as you wanted for times less than a day.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back