Formula to return the previous sequential number from a group

c_fink

Windows 7, Excel 2007. I need help with a formula to find the next lowest sequential number within a group.

Here's an example data set, which represents transactions by date and category:
  • Col A is a user entered Date which will not be in chronological order (unfortunately a sort is not an option)
  • Col B is a user entered Category
  • Col C is a formula that gives the chronological sort order based on the date
    • The formula in C2:C9 is =COUNT($A$2:$A$9)-(RANK(A2,$A$2:$A$9)+COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)-1)+1
  • Col D is a formula to determine if the row is the first chronological transaction within the Category
    • The array formula in D2:D9 is =IF(MIN(IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,$C$2:$C$9))=C2,"Y","")
    • This might not be a necessary column, but can be used as a helper
  • Col E is where I would like a formula to give the next lowest value in Col C for the Category in Col B (the order number in Col C for the previous transaction within the same category).
    • I have entered in the values that the formula should return in Col E in the table below

ABCDE
1DateCategoryOrderFirst Transaction?Previous Transaction
24/1/14A2Y2
35/1/14A64
46/1/14A86
54/1/14B1Y1
65/1/14B51
76/1/14B75
84/5/14C3Y3
94/15/14A42

<tbody>
</tbody>

If the current line is the first transaction of the category, the formula should return the value in Col C for that line (so E2 would equal the value in C2, which is 2).

So the first part of the formula could be straightforward, using the helper column:
=IF(D2="Y",C2,

Here's the tricky part: If it's not the first occurrence of the category, then it should return the value of Col C for previous transaction (or the next lowest number in Col C that is within the same category).

• E3 would return 4, since the previous transaction for Category A was line 9
    • C3 = 6, and of all the values of Col C for Category A (2, 4, 6, 8), 4 is the next lowest
  • E4 would return 6, since the previous transaction for Category A was line 3
    • C4 = 8, and of all the values of Col C for Category A (2, 4, 6, 8), 6 is the next lowest
  • E5 would return 1, since it is the first transaction in Category B
  • E6 would return 1, since the previous transaction for Category B was line 5
    • C6 = 5, and of all the values of Col C for Catebory B (1, 5, 7), 1 is the next lowest
  • Etc.

I'm thinking I need an array formula to find the minimum value within the category, where that value is less than the value of Col C in the current line. Just not sure how to write that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Yeah, the editor doesn't like that less than sign. Using your hash trick, here's what I had (Excel 2007):

=IF(D2="Y",C2,MAX(IF($B$2:$B$9=B2,IF($C$2:$C$9#C2,$C$2:$C$9,""))))
Where the "#" should be swapped with a "<"

Is this how you would structure it for the earlier version of Excel?

Perfect! Although you don't really need the "" at the end.

Cheers

Upvote 0
@Aladin: Thanks for the help! I think your formula would work if the data were chronological. It works up until row 6, which is the first out-of-chronological-order date that's not the first transaction within the group. I tried anchoring the COUNTIF statement on the entire column ($B$2:$B$9 instead of $B$2:B2), but it returned incorrect results. Any thoughts?

I don't follow. The formula does not look at the dates...

DateCategoryOrderFirst Transaction?Previous Transaction
4/1/2014A2Y2
5/1/2014A6 4
6/1/2014A8 6
4/1/2014B1Y1
5/1/2014B5 5
6/1/2014B7 7
4/5/2014C3Y3
4/15/2014A4 8

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 73pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3470" width=98><COL style="WIDTH: 82pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3896" width=110><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 119pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5660" width=159><COL style="WIDTH: 156pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7395" width=208><TBODY>
</TBODY>

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(D2="Y",C2,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$9=$B2,$C$2:$C$9),COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2)))

What am I missing?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back