Formula works in some cells but not others

pzh20

i'm really struggling with a formula that seems to work in some cells and not others.
I have a table of bank transactions. Income is from clients and outgoings are from suppliers as well as charges etc.
Each supplier and customer are assigned a 'category' that matches a column of the sheet.
My formula is trying to populate the matched columns with the income or outgoings as a breakdown of the transactions.
the pseudo code is as follows;
1, If the transaction is income, lookup the customer from the customers table
2, extract the category
3,if the category matches the column heading, copy the transaction total to the column, otherwise leave blank,
4, assuming the transaction is not income
5, lookup the supplier from the suppliers table and extract the category from the supplier
6, if this category matched the column title, copy the transaction total into the cell.
The formula is copied to all the cells in the sheet covering the categories.
It works in some cells and not in others which is what i'm struggling with.
attached is a screenshot of the formula in the cells showing it working and not. There are also screenshots of the customer/supplier tables.
I hope this is enough info for suggestions of what I should try.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-20 125553.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-20 125553.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-09-20 125237.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-20 125237.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Many times formulas are correct but your data maybe of the wrong data type. By posting an image the forum cannot use your data to examine your problem.
Mr. Excel has a tool called xl2bb add in (link below) that allows users to post mini worksheets of your data.
But, what is more important the forum does not have to manually recreate your scenario, which can have errors in entry as well as assumptions.
So, please help the forum help you and use the add in. If you cannot use it, then post your data as a table, not an image.

All that being said. Have you debugged each conditional statement in formula in the cells that are not calculating as expected?

And to help the forum best help you, please state what version of excel you are using and also update your profile so that the version appears on your button (so next time the forum will know). This is because many solutions may not work on different versions of excel.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the pointer to the mini sheet, I'll see if I can create one. I've been through it so many times I am getting rather foggy. I'll follow it through again just to see if the data is wrong rather than the formula (must admit up until now I've only visually checked).

Upvote 0
Turns out my formula was correct, and the copy'd pasted text was wrong.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back